Appeal on Wednesday

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Olly

Appeal on Wednesday

Post by Olly »

My DD has 115 and we have Appeal on this Wednesday (if weather fine:-)) We're living in UK 4 years. DD has predicted 5C in English. 5A -Maths and Scene.

I will really appreciate it if you could help me and advcice how to present this evidence in best way?

DD is not a native English speaker. Surprisingly he has progressed to a level where native English speakers do not recognise him as a foreigner, but the fact still remains, it is not his mother tongue.

OR

He did extremely well last 4 years and he is English in a high standard, but 11+ exam can’t show his ability, because is English not native language for whole family.

OR ?
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Olly, I expect someone will be along soon with a more helpful answer than I can give you, but I just wanted to say that I think your son's result (by the way, DS is son and DD is daughter :) ) and predicted SATs grades are superb for a non-native speaker of English who has only lived in this country for a few years. Success in the Bucks exam depends to a very large extent on a good knowledge and understanding of English vocabulary. I don't know to what extent your circumstances will be taken into account, but wanted to wish you good luck anyway. :)
Marylou
Olly

Post by Olly »

Marylou:-)

O, Thank YOU for explonation about DS and DD:-) I have DS.

Success in the Bucks exam depends to a very large extent on a good knowledge and understanding of English vocabulary - I think I have to say somethin like you've wrote. I don't want to go deeper, because my English worse than my son has:-) I need 2-3 very good sentences. Tomorrow "our" day , but I still stuck here :roll:
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear Olly

I suggest: "None of our family are native English speakers, but my son has made progress with his English in 4 years to the point where native English speakers often do not recognise him as a foreigner. The fact remains, it is not his mother tongue, and the format of the 11+ disadvantages him. The 5a predictions for Maths and Science show his true ability."

To be honest, you don't need to worry about what to say. It's the facts that matter, rather than your presentation. Even if you offered no information, the panel would ask you how long he has been in the UK, and they would see the 5a predictions for Maths and Science, and work out for themselves that the format of the 11+ affected the result in your son's case.
Etienne
Olly

Post by Olly »

Dear Etienne,

Thank you for your suggestion! I am feeling much better now :-)

I think you know how sometimes when you star to worry and stop thinking in right way.

I hope it will how you say "the facts that matter, rather than your presentation", because of my accent :roll:
Y

Post by Y »

I think your accent will help you make your point!
Olly

Post by Olly »

Our Appeal was postponde. I have extra time to prepare.

I hope someone can help me.

What do you know about Primary Mathematics Challenge? If my son has Bronze Award - is it worth to mention on Appeal? :roll:
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I assume this was a bronze certificate awarded within the school, Olly?

It's worth a brief mention, but quite a lot of certificates are issued (around 69000 in all).

http://www.m-a.org.uk/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=250
Etienne
Olly

Post by Olly »

Etienne wrote:I assume this was a bronze certificate awarded within the school, Olly?

It's worth a brief mention, but quite a lot of certificates are issued (around 69000 in all).

http://www.m-a.org.uk/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=250
Thank you, Etienne. I saw this website.... but I don't understand how it works. HT said that in our school 80 children did it and 10 had Bronze. But in Year 6 ou school has around 60 children. :?: :?: :?:
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Remember to take the certificate with you, if you decide to mention it at the appeal.
Etienne