Clitheroe Royal Grammar School

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lancashire & Cumbria

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Patzie

Clitheroe Royal Grammar School

Post by Patzie »

Very new to 11+ really don't know where to start :?

I have read the admissions policy on the web site and my aim is to get my head round it.

The help I am looking for is a local tutor and what books I should get to help my child?

What type of exam do CRGS sit ie as I don't want to purchase the wrong books etc?

Any help would be greatly appreciated ??? Thank you :shock:
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Patzie

Welcome to the forum!! Confess I don't know precisely - I live down the road in Skipton where they use solely VR and NVR - my understanding of the Clitheroe exams was that they use more english and maths papers.

The expert locally would be Nathair - try sending her a private message - Unfortunately her daughter did not pass Clitheroe but passed Skipton as she had prepared more for that exam - she was also still waiting on some indepenedent schools as she lives outside both catchment areas..

Are you in catchment ... it is tricky to get a Clitheroes place if you are out of catchment.

Good luck

Herman

PS will try and find out what papers you need to look at
Nathair

Post by Nathair »

Hi, Herman told me about this post, I haven't been on the forum much at the moment as life has been pretty manic for the past few weeks and my health hasn't been the best, but nevermind...I'm here now :P
Clitheroe has 3 exams; Verbal Reasoning, Maths and English. These are all multiple choice and there is no essay to write. They are all done in 1 sitting on the same morning in early September as the children are just entering Year 6, It goes from 9am-12.30ish with a refreshment break between the first and second exams.

They take 120 pupils each year;
For entrance into Year 7 in Sept 2008 ( the latest I have figures for) 92 in catchment and 28 out of area pupils got a place. 411 children sat the tests (205 in area and 206 OOA) There were 13 appeals, none were successful.

For my own personal experience, I'm really not sure what went wrong, we did concentrate on VR and NVR a lot more than Maths and English. My DD got 100% in one of her Year 5 English QCA exams and was a level 5 in Maths too and I think we relied on this too heavily. The exam in Maths especially covered much more than she had learnt at school in Year 5, She passed for Skipton (VR, NVR) and Westholme (VR, NVR, Maths, English and an Essay) So maybe she just let stress get to her that day :?

Hope that helps abit, any more questions, just ask.
Nathair
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10100;430/st/20100902/e/DD+Starts+Senior+School/dt/5/k/bbdb/event.png[/img]
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Thanks for posting this Nathair ... it is far more english and maths based than some.

Looking at the figures - crumbs the OOC kids don't get much of a look in do they... 28 out of 206!

Hope you are feeling OK - not a good time to be poorly with all this weather!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Just had another read of Nathair's post. :oops:

Patzie it sounds as though you need to be aware of the bits of maths that may not have been covered in year 5 but are in the exam. The exam is very early in year 6 so no chance of doing it then.

Which year is your DC in?
Patzie

Post by Patzie »

Thank you all for your replies - hummmm much reading and work to do I think !!! :shock:
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Patzie

Are you in catchment???
Patzie

Post by Patzie »

Yes we are. We aim to take the exam not this year but the year after, so I am making sure I research and plan ahead. All complete new to me so taking it one step at a time :?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Good to start well ahead - saves it being a mad dash!!!

- definitely helps being in catchment with clitheroe as you've seen from the posts above, they don't get much of a look in. I feel partic sorry for those liviing between skipton and clitheroe as they are OOC for both.

Keep in touch
Lancaster_Girls

Post by Lancaster_Girls »

Hi Patzie

I have just seen this post - sorry I haven't checked for a while.

Clitheroe, Lancaster Girls and Lancaster Boys all sit the same tests on the same day.

As stated before this consists of Maths, English and Verbal Reasoning. The school's get together and write the papers.

Try looking on both LGGS and LRGS websites as there are past papers for you to look at which we found really good. The LGGS site also tells you which VR books are relevant.

As Nathair said the Maths paper did include quite a lot of questions not covered in school - we found Algebra was quite common in the past papers and this wasn't even touched on at Primary school until late year six.

My daughter was one of the girl's to gain a place and we are OOC. She started in September at LGGS and is enjoying every minute. I must admit how suprised I was how many girl's in my daughter's year are OOC.

If I can help any more let me know.

Oh and good luck x
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now