Help Please

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

doodles

Help Please

Post by doodles »

Anybody know a good chess game for pc / playstation / nintendo - we've got Nintendo chessmaster - for DS2 (age 7). Yes, we do have an old-fashioned board and pieces but would be nice for him to have something else too when there is nobody to play against.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Can't recommend a Chess game, but I can recommend the Scrabble game for DS Lite. I think I've played it more than my son has!
doodles

Post by doodles »

Thanks pheasantchick - not heard of that one - sounds good.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Doodles, instead of a pc game have you thought of an actualy electronic chess board?? You have real pieces and the board responds to your move.

If you google electronic chess sets there are several which come up. There's one on Amazing for around £29 which my son had, he got so much use out of it it was well worth the money.

Thre is also this one here in Argussssssssss - around the same price £29.

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/store ... rning+Toys
Greta2

Post by Greta2 »

My son has really enjoyed playing on Internet Chess Club. We were introduced to it by the club coach. It's an online subscription site but if i remember you can have a trial for free. I think its about £20 a year for students now so good value and we have never had a problem with it. It has people playing on it from all levels from complete beginners to GM's. They announce when a GM match is being played for others to watch.

If you want a PC version the Fritz ones were always the ones advised to us.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Thanks Greta and Snowdrops. Think I will investigate your electronic one Snowdrops as didn't even know about them and it would be even nicer to drag them away from a screen.