Does anyone have experience of King's School, Gloucester?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
pixiequeen

Does anyone have experience of King's School, Gloucester?

Post by pixiequeen »

Hi
We are new to the whole independent school thing and would love some advice - both general and specific to King's School in Gloucester.

Our DD sits the 11+ this coming November for the local grammar schools. There is only one exam and competition is fierce. Although we feel she would thrive at a grammar school and shouldn't have any problems passing the exam, we feel the need for a Plan B, should she stuff it up on the day and fail.

Plan B involves getting a scholarship to the above school. I reckon that realistically we can only afford 25% of the fees. DD is very academic, and also very good at the performing arts. According to Kings' website, it is possible to apply for two scholarships (both are a maximum of 50% reduction in fees), one academic, one non-academic.

My biggest concerns are: the obvious one - can we afford it? Is there any likely hood they will offer us a big enough scholarship, or would we qualify for a bursary? (we are average income but permanently skint due to huge mortgage/debt repayments/3 kids, drive old valueless cars, live in tatty 4 bed semi.)

Secondly - Is this school challenging enough academically for bright children? We are very drawn by the fact it teachs latin and classics and a good range of modern foreign languages.

Any opinions, advice, experiences would be very welcome.

Pixiequeen.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

I'm afraid that I have no knowledge of this school, so I'll have to let others help you on this one.

One thing I would suggest is that you make contact with the school's bursar. Ask whether you can submit a bursary application with your current financial details - it will be very thorough and ask many questions and request lots of proof - in order that they may be able to give you an idea, from this evidence, of what sort of bursary you might be entitled to should your daughter be offered a place.

We knew what we would be entitled to before we knew that our son had a place.

Good luck in the coming year and I hope you get lots of advice re the school.
pixiequeen

Post by pixiequeen »

Thank you Ed's mum. I think I will do that - I would hate to put my DD through the exam if there is no chance of us being able to afford the fees. I am reluctant to even let her look round until I know what her/our chances are. I had assumed that bursary applications would come after the offer of a place but actually it does seem more logical to do it the other way round. Thanks again.

Pixiequeen
Hector

Post by Hector »

Hi PQ,
We sound like we're in very similar situations, though my DD is doing entrance assesments now. All the schools we approached were happy to give us bursary applications (but only after registering for the exams).
Like Ed's Mum says, these forms are very detailed and require some application to complete. All the schools will let us know out-come of assesments and possible bursary offer together in Feb.
In other words, the schools will give you a likely indication prior to the exams, but not the definite one -so we're left in the position of, she may fail tests but have been eligible for bursary or she may past tests, but not well enough to gain bursary (or one as large as we need) assuming more deserving cases. Or she may pass and we get a decent bursary!!! Life's a lottery!
Milla

Post by Milla »

only opinion is generic and hearsay and that it is very good! Nothing more concrete than that, but have had friends (in same position as you) have it as the one they were going to consider as plan B.
Having had 2 go through the same exams as you, my advice is to keep plugging away at the work. Speed, vocab, plenty of practice, and wider practice than "just" papers, get expanding her mind more than the school's narrow curriculum allows.
good luck! it's a horrid process, but you will be the other side of it all quicker than you know it.
[img]http://sl.glitter-graphics.net/pub/47/47055t4vjrz296r.gif[/img]