Possible move

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Tolstoy

Possible move

Post by Tolstoy »

My DH, not so dear now actually, has landed himself a job in Gatwick :( .

We live in Gloucestershire and are trying not to move but may have to. DS1 is currently at a very good Grammar school and we were hoping that DS2 would join him this September.

If we have to move, DH living with his sis in the week at the mo so not a long term solution, which areas would be feasible for us. We want the boys in a Grammar school. DS1 is currently y7, Ds2, y6.

House prices are a major issue as we need 4 bedrooms but only have a budget of between 350 to poss 400,000, although we will take on renovations .

My DH is used to commuting, currently from Shepperton to Gatwick, but obv Gloucestershire is a little too far :roll: .
doodles

Post by doodles »

Hi Tolstoy

Will PM you.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

Hi Tolstoy

How about Tonbridge? Having had a quick look online you should find a property within your price range. Its about an hour's commute by train to Gatwick or probably similar by car ( depending on traffic). There are three very good boys GS nearby - Judd, Skinners and Tunbridge Wells Grammar School for Boys. The first two are superselective. They are always oversubscribed though so getting your Year 7 boy a place may not be straight forward -- I suspect that you will have to appeal for a place. Not sure what the process is for your Year 6 boy as the Kent 11+ has already taken place - but there must be a process for late testing - Kent Admissions in Maidstone will be able to advise if you decide to come this way.
I hope this helps

Twinkle
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

How about Folkestone?

My house is on teh market, sea views AND within your price range!!
:wink:
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

ooo sea views!!!!! I can see er... hills, more hills, even more hills... some sheep ... another hill.... oh for a sea view!!
doodles

Post by doodles »

Fine long way from Gatwick though!!!!!
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

My house is on the market, sea views AND within your price range
Ah but wasn't there something about a busy road Yoyo, we have three cats, one of which I would cheerfully encourage toward any major road but unfortunately the other two would be sadly missed :wink: If I have to move the getting nearer to the coast would be a decided plus.

We had looked at Tonbridge but I have a feeling the school places would be an issue. Is there anywhere in Kent where the Grammar schools are not over-subscribed but is commutable, we are talking around an hour or so's drive here?
SSM

Post by SSM »

Wilmington GSs are not normally oversubscribed and right by the M25, Jnct 3, I think. So that would probably just be commutable.

Does it have to be a GS or would a good comp be acceptable?

As I don't think you would find many areas that have GSs which are not oversubscribed and within an hours commute of Gatwick.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Really think you should look towards Maidstone - good Grammar Schools and I don't think that there is such pressure on places (though I am happy to be corrected) as there is here in far West Kent. I am sure that i read somewhere that Invicta did really well this year and I am sure that this is over that way (you will need to check as this distinct lack of food seems to be affecting my judgement at the moment!)

Good luck
when the process will end

Post by when the process will end »

You can consider Bexley. Four good Grammar schools in Bexley with Wilmington and Dartford Grammar in Kent not so far away. You can possibly appeal for a place once your boys are tested and assessed to be of selective ability. Check with Bexley Council and Kent Council.

40 mins drive to Gatwick.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now