Is ok to Come Out Now?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
stressedaddy

Is ok to Come Out Now?

Post by stressedaddy »

Hello,

Haven't posted on the fourm for a while, but have been reading many and varied interesting posts. I've been asked many times at DS (by the way what is DD and DS and who started it, and why is it used?) what was in the Nov Exam. So far I have resisted in replying knowing that tests were still going on. Question: Are all tests related to CEM and KEGS over and is it ok to discuss on this forum, as I keep getting PMs.

Not long to go for March 1st, the sleepless nights and the pacing up down has kicked in.......

Many Thanks.....
floozey

Post by floozey »

Hi, I have a DD taking the exam this year so please any help and tips would be great.

Thanks
Milla

Post by Milla »

don't know who started it, but it's for anonymity:
DS= Dear / Dreadful Son
DD= Dear / Dreadful Daughter
Seems a bit silly at first, but it soon becomes second nature.
[img]http://sl.glitter-graphics.net/pub/47/47055t4vjrz296r.gif[/img]
clarendon

Post by clarendon »

Stressedaddy.. didn't a prev post mention the same test being used up to March for children moving in to bham or who have had longterm illness?
A moderator KenR? may be able to confirm this. I'm happy to share the limited feedback my son gave but it's of no use to us as our children have taken it and it's only going to up the anxiety level. Also as the council are proposing a change from next year it may not be relevant then.

Still, when we get the green light I'm happy to share!
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Milla wrote:Seems a bit silly at first, but it soon becomes second nature.
It will never, ever, pass my keyboard.

Provisional offers were settled this week - all that's left is tidying up which preference ranks highest where someone applies across LEA boundaries. So no one's child is going to miss out on a place as a result of "too much information" here. Conceivably, someone might gain an advantage on a late entry application (moving into area etc.) but providing no one gives specifics ("the words in the Cloze test were...") that's quite unlikely.

Mike
confusedmom

Post by confusedmom »

Does this mean that "other" people know where our DD and DS's are going!
shana Lewis

Post by shana Lewis »

From what I can tell, it seems the test has followed the same format for a few years.
English/verbal reasoning - 1/2 comprehensions
Lots of synomyns
Cloze test

Nfer and bond books in vr pretty useless it seems, as there are few similar question types that appear in the exam
Top tip would be to push vocabulary as much as possible - some very difficult words appear!

Maths

Mental arithmetic multiple choice (ranking highest/lowest value)
Problem solving paper - general maths including algebra

NVR - one 12 minute paper
practice using some of the bonds resources for this.

Whilst tuition will always help to improve skills in all of the above, you cannot rely on it solely to get our child through this exam, as it is designed to identify the naturally very bright.

Good luck
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Thanks Layla; recipe as before then? Let's hope the putative change to the admissions process doesn't throw any hefty spanners in the works to confuse the issue (can't see why it would, to be honest).
confusedmom wrote:Does this mean that "other" people know where our DD and DS's are going!
Oooooh yes.

If I'd had my wits about me last year, I could have saved myself a lot of worrying by paying attention to the one that started dropping loud hints at this stage that we could get lost and stop bothering them. They considered themselves "too cool for CAF" and treated the whole process with a hefty degree of contempt, if I'd realised sooner what they were up to (i.e. before about the third week in Feb!) and had the nerve to ask them what was going on, I think they would very probably have told me that we'd already got something higher on our list (unless their exceptionally high opinion of themselves got in the way of admitting that, of course).

Mike
layla

Post by layla »

Thanks Layla; recipe as before then?

Sorry Mike what do you mean
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Sorry, I was replying to Shana and got the wrong name :oops:

Mike