anyone tried Boden?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
chardom

anyone tried Boden?

Post by chardom »

Have just received a Boden catalogue through the post and was wondering if anyone has ever ordered anything from this company, and if so, and most importantly, is it any good?? Children's wear seems quite pricey but catalogue boasts that it's hard-wearing, however I don't feel like parting with my hard-earned cash if its 'pants' as my DS would say!! :lol:
BB248

Post by BB248 »

My one bit of advice is that they do lots of discounts and free post & packing / returns offers so don't pay full catalogue price. If you go on the discount voucher web sites you'll soon find a Boden offer or 2. 10 - 20% off is typical. Also their sales lines can make the expensive, full cost item seem more reasonable - got to time it right though or all they have left are the v cute things for 2 year olds! For what it's worth, my 10 yr old thinks he's now beyond Boden!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Some considerable dealings with Boden over the years!

I never found their children's clothes to be "hard-wearing". All the hand-me-downs in this house were from Ladybird (Woolworths, R.I.P.) and Mackays.

Their children's clothes are very trendy, but there are cheaper and better alternatives. La Redoute and Vertbaudet are a couple of ideas for online catalogues.

Once again, as I said on my thread aeons ago, recommendations for reputable, well-known high-street stores or well-known websites are acceptable on the Forum. Mentions from long-standing members are especially considered to be acceptable.
sallyj

Post by sallyj »

Definately hard wearing stuff. I admit to putting clothes ds has outgrown away to pass onto littlest ds as theres loads of life left in 'em !
Totally agree with BB248 though. I never buy at full price,watch for special offers-some of which Boden will send pretty frequently themselves now they have your details :lol:
Ds aged 11 is still happy to wear thier stuff-though as he likes to spend most of his free time up to his eyeballs in Scout inflicted mud he might as well be wearing a bin bag(actually a bin bag might make more sense :lol: )
Alex

Post by Alex »

Am told that, if the children grow before the clothes wear out, they have very good resale value on e-bay - keep those pretty tissue paper wrappings and bags with the name on for best price!
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Always happy with the Boden stuff I've brought (mainly kids, a few items for me).

Tip: If you recommend your friends, you can earn £2.50 per person. (providing they are not already listed).
Ally

Post by Ally »

Always loved the Boden, but in last couple of years the sizing seems to have changed, they're cut a lot smaller, both kids and adults. This like with many brands can be a problem as all the kids t-shirt have dual sizes. Also noticed a change in the quality, the fabric is a lot thinner. The only two t-shirts that my son managed to rip last year, came from boden. That said I will still look at boden to add a couple of nice t-shirt to my DS wardrobe for the summer. Their are still by nice ladies bits in the sale.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

I have bought Boden for many years. Initially used to get some good stuff off ebay as well(Alex is right about the excellent resale though with four boys nothing I have is re-sellable). I agree with Ally that the quality of both the womens and childrens is becoming more unpredicatable. As to the sizing they have improved their trousers so that you get individual sizes like Next rather than the 5-7 thing which creates skuffed backs.

I tend to order when I get free returns (unless it is sales time). That way you can order a couple of sizes and send back the ones that don't fit.

I got hooked because being confined to internet shopping I did find their clothes a little bit more individual and I have always been happy with their service, annoyingly their aggressive advertising is kind of making them too popular for my liking and much as the lazy side of me wants to stick with them the individuality side knows it time to look futher afield.
sallyj

Post by sallyj »

Alex is spot on !
I always sell my daughters outgrown Boden on ebay as I have no one to hand it down to. It always makes a decent price :lol:
doodles

Post by doodles »

Very hard wearing (and it is nice to get boys clothes in bright colours) but would reiterate never buy full price - there is always an offer somewhere - beware sizing as I find they can come up small - must add can only speak for boys clothes as I don't have girls.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now