teeth braces .

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
onwardandupward

teeth braces .

Post by onwardandupward »

12 year old Daughter had orthodontic consultation today and was advised on fixed braces top and bottom. she just started secondary, big changes, finding her feet, new friends. Having gently agreed we'd have them fitted next week she came home and was terribly distraught -lots of info to take in re brushing, foods, gum shields in PE etc so she decided to have them fitted in summer hols and get used to them (she quite liked the bling factor but felt it would all be so troublesome). Has anyone got experiences/advice/tips, words of support and encouragement I can offer re how it becomes easy routine, brushing after lunch etc. Thanks
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

My dd (also 12 - year 7) is getting braces. We have an appointment in March to see if she's ready for them yet (she definitely needs them).

She was very excited when she heard last summer that she was to have them, apparently it's cool these days to wear them (safe and secure in the knowledge you're going to have perfect teeth within about 2 years!!).

There's all sorts of ones you can get these days, so unlike the big ungainly ones of old :D

She'll be fine I'm sure :D
onwardandupward

teeth braces

Post by onwardandupward »

She doesn't go to Dame Alice Owen's does she?! thanks for kind words.
zorro

Post by zorro »

This is weird as I was going to post about the same subject!! :shock:
DS is going to have his braces fitted on Saturday and is worried about speech problems. The orthodontist said it will take a while for him to get used to speaking with them. He ( and me!) is worried about people taking the mickey at school. I know it will pay off in the end but I am not looking forward to seeing my handsome boy with a mouthful of metal! I had braces myself as a teenager and can remember the agony I went through.
Anyone know how long it takes to get used to them re: speech?
Hope

Post by Hope »

Hi all

both my children have braces, my DD is in Year 8 and has had them for about 18 months and is having them taken off in half term. My DS is in Year 6 and has had them for about 6 months. They both have train tracks (fixed braces) neither has had a problem with speech, but it does depend what type of braces you have.

Both of them complained when they had them fitted that it was painful, and when they have them changed or tightened they moan about their teeth hurting, I give them nurofen or calpol which helps.

Neither have had any problems with mickey taking at school, so many children have braces it is almost the norm. My DS was first in his year group to get them and most of the kids were just interested in them some were even jealous!

My DS's teeth look beautiful now so it was well worth the hassle (and cost!!)

Forgot to say, they started off cleaning their teeth at lunchtime but I am not sure either do now, I keep reminding them!! Cleaning takes a little longer than before braces but they soon get used to it.
KB

Post by KB »

I think the fixed braces are easier to adjust to speech wise than the removable ones.
Try to get them to clean at lunch time but if they do it just before they go out & as soon as they get home its not the end of the world - assuming they avoid fruit & sugary food during the day!

It can take up to a week I think for the pain to go altogether but usual painkillers help. In a way being at school might be a distraction.

Once they get used to cleaning them the teeth brushing shouldn't be a big hassle - bet she will be fine after a couple of weeks:)

I would think carefully about such long time delay.
If you are a private patient the funding issues wont apply but if not I would check what happens if you elect to delay.
Is there a danger that your DD will just worry about it until the summer? Maybe a compromise of half-term or Easter - the mouthguard probably isn't an issue with summer games?

My DS has serious orthodentic problems & his treatment hasn't been pleasant but he survives even that- children do seem to adjust somehow.
zorro

Post by zorro »

Think DS is having fixed braces so that's good.
I won't have any problems getting him to avoid fruit at lunchtime( or any other time! ) :roll:
We saw the orthodontist a year ago and went on the waiting list for NHS. They told us we will have to wait another year so have decided to bite (!) the bullet and go privately as we don't think we should wait any longer seeing as he is growing so quickly.
KB

Post by KB »

I think the 'growing' issue only applies if there is a problem with the jaw (eg overbite) not if its a crooked/too many teeth issue.
If it is the former then treatment does need to happen while they are still growing & is supposed to be better if they are going through a growth spurt.
If it is simply a question of moving teeth then my understanding is that it isn't time critical - my DD is marginal & was told if she isn't sure about braces then to wait & see how she feels later.

If you do go privately there seem to be options for braces that are much less obvious & slightly more comfortable so I guess its worth shopping around like anything else (assuming you have more than one practioner locally!)
zorro

Post by zorro »

He has a recessive jaw and overbite and is currently growing at a crazy rate!
The different braces cost an absolute bomb so we won't be going down that avenue!
KB

Post by KB »

Sounds similar to DS & def. urgent! We were blessed time wise because he got referred at a time when there was only a few months wait - now it is over a year again here!
At least if you go privately you get the out of school hours appointments :)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now