Short course language GCSE

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

hermanmunster

Short course language GCSE

Post by hermanmunster »

hi - can someone enlighten me re these MFL courses - DDs GCSE list says she can either do German (1 GCSE) or French (1 GCSE) or German and French (1 GCSE) ... is there a combined french and german GCSE or 2 half GCSEs???
solimum

Post by solimum »

I don't know what they're like nowadays but several years ago my DC's school (a language college) stopped doing the short courses which used to be the standard "second language" option (unless you were very keen and upgraded to the full GCSE but with no additional teaching time..). My DS1 did very badly on short course Spanish (however, that could also be because he didn't take it seriously) which seemed rather a waste of four years.... I
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

thanks .. just trying to get my head round the concept of a half GCSE....! Interesting that a language college gave them up, mmm :? maybe not a good idea for DD
KB

Post by KB »

Given how little they cover in a full GCSE can't imagine what they do in half a one!

Might be worth investigating if the course is of any practical use & also how Universities treat half-GCSE grades?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

KB wrote:Given how little they cover in a full GCSE can't imagine what they do in half a one!

Might be worth investigating if the course is of any practical use & also how Universities treat half-GCSE grades?
agreed... reckon I could get the odd half GCSE ......
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Sorry Herman...haven't heard of short courses in languages....we (worst luck - because we have absolutely no linguistic bones in any of our bodies) have to take at least one full GCSE in a MFL - one short course would be a great benefit to the LFH household :lol:
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Miss Yoyo started doing a half course in French, then upgraded to the full GSCE. The teacher said the main difference was the amount of vocabulary covered.

She covered most of the extra work herself (and got an A*!)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wLAqoVr/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wLAqoVr/weight.png[/img]
[/url]
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

well done miss yoyo!!!

miss munster can't decide whether to do french or german but only wanted to do one MFL exam. Having read about all this now I think it would be better to make the decision and do a whole GCSE rather than 2 halves...
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now