How many GCSE's...

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

katel

How many GCSE's...

Post by katel »

... are your grammar school children doing? I'm trying to find out what's average. At my dd's school they do 10, and have to get special permission to do any more. I think that's fine - 10 seems more than enough to me, but my brother has got a bee in his bonnet about other schools doing more, so I'm information gathering!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I think Miss yoyo did 11

Master yoyo did 8 (they asked him to drop music and pe!!)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wLAqoVr/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wLAqoVr/weight.png[/img]
[/url]
zee

Post by zee »

DS1 is doing 10 plus Additional Maths, which is above GCSE but not quite AS. He was doing an 11th, but dropped it as he wanted a clean sweep of A/A*.

10 is the norm at his GS, so I expect DS2 will be similar.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

All mine have done/are doing 10 GCSEs which seems a fine number. They are actively discouraged to do any more, because bless them, they need some time off :lol:
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

My DD is doing 12 - they do 12 or 13 if in top 2 groups for for science and maths, 11 if not.

I think it's far too many - not necessary and detrimental. It means that she has had to prioritise and some subjects just get the minimum amount of time spent on them. Homework is very time consuming and coursework hasn't been completely phased out yet.

Of course for the fantastically gifted it is probably interesting and not that stressful - several get 12 or more A*s every year - but for most it is too much.

My DS is about to make GCSE options, I am already trying to insist he does not take a language as he is shockingly bad at them. I want him to concentrate on English, which he is at risk of failing. As he is brilliant at science he will probably have to take 12!

Other DC at secondary modern gets to choose 9 traditional, academic GCSEs - much more manageable.
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Daughter's school do 12 but apparently the boys' grammar locally can do 13.DD rather cross about this but doesn't matter to me.
I am sure most grammars allow them to pick up a couple more at 6th form if you wanted to...
Nou

Post by Nou »

12 but includes maths & stats and English Lang and Lit as separate subjects. An IT option, the 3 sciences, a modern language, and an extended writing subject (history or geography)are compulsory, so very little choice in reality. I did 8 O levels in olden days which was considered the maximum!
chad

Post by chad »

Haven't got a clue!! hopefully will have on Tues (parents evening)

Ds is taking 12 subjects (inc Eng lit & Lang, Phys,Chem.Biology)
supposed to be doing an ECDL???? in ICT and had to take a MFL so chose Spanish as the least worse....... he would drop it if poss.
[img]http://sl.glitter-graphics.net/pub/748/748895c3fyugpiju.gif[/img]
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Chad - you're not the only one who doesn't know! I've been reading this thread feeling rather uncomfortable that I can't actually produce an exact figure! In my day I did 9 'O levels' over the course of what is now KS4 and an extra one with my A'levels. (My sister did 13 O'levels which seems a bit excessive!) Nowadays, they start their GCSE's in KS3 and start AS levels in KS4 so I'm thoroughly confused!

DS1 is in Yr 10 and will have finished DT, ICT, Core Science, RS and Citizenship by the end of this year and Maths at the start of Y11. I know Citizenship and RS only count as half GCSE's. I don't know if he'll do 2 sciences or 3 in Y11. I know he has to do an AS level in Y11 but I don't know if that will take up any spare capacity or if he'll have to do another GCSE as well.

So, like you, I haven't got a clue!
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Chad - meant to say, the ECDL is the European/International Computer Driving Licence. They do it at my sons' school instead of ICT GCSE. I think when you've completed it it's equivalent to a B at GCSE. There are 8 modules to pass over two years, but some kids rattle it off in a year and then presumably do something else in year 11.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now