Unsuccessful Appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

6468j

Unsuccessful Appeal

Post by 6468j »

I just wanted to say congratulations to all those that had good news. We didn't and are feeling very hard done by today. I don't post on this forum regularly, however I read the posts every day and have taken lots of advice away with me.

I am annoyed because how academic does your child have to be. My DD's stats are:

3 5's
2.1 recommendation from head, she said 8 would pass, 6 did.
CATS scores 132 VR and 124 QR.

Our only problem was that no one was ill and no one had died.

I feel very let down by the whole system.

6468j

:( :(
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

6468j I'm sorry to hear it didn't go as well as you hoped.
Best wishes.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Really sorry to hear you have had bad news re the appeal.

SATS can be very frustrating, one should feel that having 3*5s is as good as it can get - I was curious to see how many children got 5's in specific subjects, it is over 30% in maths and similar in english, whereas the 11 plus pass cutoff varies from 15-25%.

As you say obviously difficult to find the evdience they want - have you got othe good options?
6468j

Post by 6468j »

Dear Hermanmunster

Not exactly, good out of catchment secondary school, which children in our area do get into, My DD absolutely does not want to attend our catchment school. She did not get a good feeling about it when we viewed it.

6468j
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

You clearly had some strong evidence, but it's difficult to comment without knowing the full picture.

It does bring us back down to earth. We know that over 60% of these appeals are likely to be unsuccessful, and I'm so sorry to hear your news.

It says a lot about you that, in the midst of so much personal disappointment, you make a point of congratulating others.
Etienne
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

6468j wrote:Dear Hermanmunster

Not exactly, good out of catchment secondary school, which children in our area do get into, My DD absolutely does not want to attend our catchment school. She did not get a good feeling about it when we viewed it.

6468j
Fingers very firmly crossed for the OOC school on March 1st - all this waiting is awful. :roll:
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

I am truly sorry to hear of your disappointing news ... my heart goes out to you and your DD x x x
Heartmum x x x
twinkles

Post by twinkles »

Really sorry to hear that you didn't succeed at appeal. It must be so disappointing. I know it won't help but at least you have tried everything you could. The system is far from fair though I'm afraid.

I have an appeal to look forward to after March and I am dreading it and know how disappointed my son and I will be if we aren't successful.

I hope your DD gets into the out of catchment school she wants, everything crossed for you.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Dear 6468j, I am truly sorry to hear your news, and having been in your position last year know exactly how you feel. It is a horrible situation, and one year on I am not fully reconciled to our fate, which in the grand scheme of things is not that bad, except it is not what we wanted for our son. I undesrtand completely about the academic evidence....what on earth do these panels need other than great school reprorts, great predictions of SATs results and test already carried out by primary schools. It does seem completely unfair and tbh a bit of a lottery. The one thing we also did not have was any real extenuating circumstances to explain the result.

The upside I guess is that children are far more resilient than us adults and tend to just get on with it. My son seems fairly happy at school, although I am keeping a watchful eye on what is going on to make sure he reaches his full potential.

I wish you good luck with your allocations on 1st March - hopefully you get allocated a school you are happy with.

LFH
tottington

Post by tottington »

Hi 6468j,
so sorry to hear your news. Give yourself a chance and wait until all the anger, frustration and disappointment have subsided, then you can start thinking clearly again: we were in exactly the same position some years ago, and I still vividly remember getting that letter! None of our four got through the 11+ first time round, two did the 12+ and that was successful, and this was our second appeal. (One didn't go to Grammar and is doing absolutely fine!)
There are options to explore, but give yourself plenty of time! Let your DD move on whilst you decide on the right course of action to take.
I'm sure it'll work out in the end!
Best wishes
Totty
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now