2010 Medway test date.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Oldie

2010 Medway test date.

Post by Oldie »

They have done it again! I know this is on a ‘consultation document’ but it will be rubber stamped.
Why are they moving ever forward? What is it all about?
My take on this is that it is in response to Kent moving. This ‘proposed’ date is nearer to forcing parents to make a choice between the two. Why can’t they just be honest about this and do the same test on the same day. Parents could then make an informed and sensible choice based upon the results.
We noticed that once the tests were out of the way, the Y6 behaviour changed as it always does, the ‘boy girl’ stuff begins and they are much less attentive in class. This used to happen in Feb/March when the tests were in Jan.
I repeat my question from earlier posts, why does the test need to be so early in the year? All of the placements could be sorted out if they were taken in April or May. Childrens' performance does alter and some mature later than others, the later the test the better to gain a more valid picture of the pupil. Surely there are enough interested parties on this forum and elsewhere to put pressure on the authorities to give ALL children a better chance to show what they are capable of. Again, as previously stated, the Universties manage to place everyone after the A level results in August. This move is nonsense. Where are they going to stop, when the children are in Y3? Move a month forward a year and in less than ten years Y4 pupils will be doing this test.
This is a public examination.It is the only one where children are not supposed to be prepared for it, the only one where previous test papers are not made availble to enable practice. These two facts give an unfair advantage to children who are either tutored or who attend a private school. Just where is this level playing field we hear about?
Oldie.
reddebs

Post by reddebs »

In response to Oldie there will never be a level playing field all the time the test is optional and not part of the school curriculum. But it is not a to tutor or not to tutor arguement.

Some primary schools support those intending to sit the test reasonably well with breakfast clubs to assist (mainly on verbal reasoning,) other schools do very little and in some instances some discourage additional learning, whether via a tutor or at home.
Add to this the early test date in year 6 (3 weeks into the new school year if the 25th Sept date is upheld,) and you have a situation where the children will either be spending an amount of time during the summer holidays in practice mode or no work will be done which puts pressure on both parent and child at the start of term. A term where they may also have to deal with class restructuring, new teacher, etc. All this adds up to STRESS!

I agree that this may be in response to the Kent test and in some ways I would support a move back to the old January test date although this then highlighted the Xmas holidays. In my opinion a late October early November date is much the better option.

Finally whose decision is this anyway? Why should it be the primary schools decision (as led by the consultation document) as as explained it really is not their remit!
red_debs
Oldie

Post by Oldie »

What? (Excuse manners but...) This is driven by the Primary schools? Why? Are they mad? Just why would the primaries wish to do this earlier? I know for a fact that it is widely accepted that the earlier the test is taken, the earlier the Y6 behaviour changes. It does not make sense for schools to precipitate this. My understanding was that this was driven by the secondary schools' desire to know their numbers for the following Sept as early as possible. Even this is ridiculous, as they are told by the LEA how many to admit. The scramble happens when parents over subscribe to the popular schools. The popular schools are, of course, the ones with the lowest number of problem pupils. It is not the schools that are poor or in need of 'special measures', it is the pupils.
Oldie.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now