Low down on Gloucester/Cheltenham

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

T.i.p.s.y

Low down on Gloucester/Cheltenham

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Hi All,

You poor things, I am planning to move into the area! :shock: I'm looking at a few properties in Cheltenham and Gloucester to rent short term. Nothing posh, in fact bargain basement. Are there any areas I should avoid?

This is where I'm looking tomorrow and am totally clueless

Glos:

Kingsholm
Hempsted
Maisemore

Chelt:

Up Hatherley
The Reddings
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Up Hatherley and the Reddings are fine. Up Hatherley very close to Deans Close and probably more accessible by public transport.

My knowledge of the Gloucester places is circa 1981 so probably not relevant!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wLAqoVr/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wLAqoVr/weight.png[/img]
[/url]
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

We did a one mile radius from DC for the Cheltenham properties and we could only afford in this area. There were some Gaffs that were more than a terms school fees per month! :shock:
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

In my humble opinion-

Kingsholm would be very convenient for the rugby! Walking distance of the town,but it can get very busy on match days and its not the most upmarket area of the city! But it is for a short term rental....

Maisemore is a few miles out of town-can get cut off if the river floods,which can be quite often.Don't really know anything about the area apart from that.

Hempsted-has an old and new part.the old part is the nicer area.The new part has a lot of building work going on,and is close to the new Gloucester Quays development.

There are better areas of Gloucester if you were looking to settle permanently,but for rental short term then I would say they are fine.

GM
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Thank you Gloucestermum. Can you pm me the areas that are good to live in incase we rent for slightly longer - thanks! :)
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

It could also be worth having a look at Stroud. Not as cheap as Gloucester, but certainly unusual & quirky. Good transport to Gloucester & Cheltenham by train, bus and road (and school coaches to most of the grammars & private schools from Stroud as well). Beautiful countryside within easy walking distance of anywhere in the town, and many surrounding villages - take your pick of quaint, functional farming or eco-hippy.

It might be worth a day trip to look - I'd suggest you nose round Stroud town, Nailsworth (back streets), Chalford & Chalford Hill, Painswick (likely to be expensive), Minchinhampton (slightly less so - feels like 50% council, 50% very large private houses, but there is a lot inbetween). Maybe Randwick as well.

I can't remember what you were doing about schools. Stroud has 2 reasonable grammars, others may prefer Pates at Cheltenham (kind of super-selective). A couple of prep schools and a private school - Wycliffe, though again, King's in Gloucester may prove more to your taste.

Tewkesbury would be another alternative, though prone to dampness, and less public transport.

Good luck.
Capers
PrettyWoman

Post by PrettyWoman »

I live in Tewkesbury. It only has 1 secondary school!!!!! But lots of rivers :lol:
I used to be plain, but when I married Mr Pretty I became PrettyWoman and now have 2 Pretty children!
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

How come you're moving Tips? We have family living in Walton Cardiff but probably a bit too far! Also remember you will need a rental place that are willing to accept dog's for when you get your puppy and this will lower your choice's again.
fruit salad

Post by fruit salad »

Hi, we rented in the Forest of Dean for a year or so before moving to Gloucester. I've now got one child at primary school in Kingsholm (as I liked the school, and we thought we would be moving there) and another at Ribston Hall near where we live (hooray!).
I think we would have been happy living in Kingsholm, we're certainly getting to know some lovely families around there through the school. Some people warned me off the area because of 'half way houses' and probationary services there (in relation to burglary rates, bikes going missing and so on) but you have to be security conscious anywhere in a city.
Quite a few of my DD's Ribston friends live in Longlevens or Churchdown.
Be aware that almost all children take the bus to the grammar schools in Gloucester - my daughter is one of the very few to walk. A lot have a good hour long bus ride (which is why we moved from the beautiful Forest of Dean). Also, think about which secondary school your various children would go to if they didn't get into grammar school, and consider moving to a catchment area you like the look of, it just relieves the pressure. ;)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now