11 plus Assessments at crook log

Useful tips and ideas for the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

slightlymad

11 plus Assessments

Post by slightlymad »

hi, i've just been told about an assessment you can sit your child for to see it they have the ability to sit the 11 plus. Does anyone know any more about this assessment and who to contact to book? I've been told it cost £40. Please help, i'm new to all this and not sure if i've done the right thing by getting my son a tutor as i don't want him building his hopes up if really he has no chance of passing. thanks
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Please send replies by PM (Private Message), no adverts on the forum. :)

steve
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Slightly mad - if your son already has a tutor, can't they give you an idea of his suitability for the 11+?

I'd be a bit sceptical about how reliable an assessment would be at this stage. Even if he's in year 5 he's still got over 6 months before the 11+ (ample time to prepare an able child in my opinion) so he could improve a lot between now and the tests. You'd be better of talking to his tutor and maybe giving him some practice papers yourself to see how he does.

What sort of levels is your son working at at school? High levels are no guarantee of 11+ success of course, but they're a useful indicator.
pixiequeen

Post by pixiequeen »

Slighty Mad, I totally understand your concerns about going down the 11+ route with your son without some assurance that he could pass. I've spent the last 12 months trying to find 'evidence' that my bright (but how bright?) confident, slightly lazy DD is good enough to pass the test. I have come to realise that there is no way of assessing children for sure until the test itself, and even then some that should have passed don't.

The only benchmarks I've found so far really, are the CAT test results (we haven't had our results, yet, believe it or not, test were sat in October!) - I reckon if the results are good - over 120ish then your child stands a good chance, however, just because results are lower, doesn't necessarily mean they are representative of your childs ability, they could have been having an off day.

Current level SATs are useful 4as/5s at the end of year 5 is good - but again a child could be performing poorly at school but still be more than capable of passing the 11+.

I would echo what Bexley Mum 2 said, and have a go at some questions with him. If he 'gets' how to do them after you've explained, regardless of timing, it's worth giving the 11+ a go.