KES - Birmingham

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
TraineeDad

KES - Birmingham

Post by TraineeDad »

Hi

Just wondering if anyone has heard about interviews. Usually they phone up on the 1st week after the exams to arrange for interviews for this week but as yet I don't know of anyone who has been called up.

It could be that the process is taking much longer as there were a record number of applications...
Regards

TraineeDad
wobeeb

Post by wobeeb »

Hi,
I am using the site for the first time, although I have been browsing for a few months. I must say it contains a wealth of invaluable information. A big thank you to all those regular commentators & users.

Regarding the KES interviews, I rang up the school last week as my son is away on a residential trip this week and asked about possible interviews that I heard take place (got the info from this site).
Anyhow, they confirmed interview phonecalls would be made this week ie Wk beginning 25th Jan & interviews to take place over first two weeks of Feb.

They confirmed that this year was a record for applications and therefore it was taking a little longer to get to those children who may be offered a Scholarship or AP.

The good news is that she checked my DS results and said he had done really well and will be called in for an interview with the Chief Master for a possible AP.

Not too sure of what the interview entails and how many they interview and for how many spaces. Any info would be appreciated.
TraineeDad

Post by TraineeDad »

Thanks for the info wobeeb & congrats to you and your son...
Regards

TraineeDad
wobeeb

Post by wobeeb »

Thanks and I hope you and the other anxious parents get the phonecall this week.

We are obviously happy for our DS but at the same time a little apprehensive as he is a shy although confident lad, not sure how he would interview. Have resided to the fact that let fate takes its toll!

It is quite amazing at how fast they mark these exams considering unlike the KEG exams it is not multiple choice and therefore somebody has to read and mark all the answers including the essays.

Still a nervous few weeks to go for both KES & KEG results.
BB248

Post by BB248 »

Wobeeb

Well done to your son! What great news.

BB248
beeblebrox

Post by beeblebrox »

Do they only interview for scholarship/Assisted Place or do all boys being considerd for places get an interview - the KES website says they interview "a considerable number"?

If my son doesn't get called for interview, does that mean he's out of the running for a normal place?

Thanks for any info. We are on tenterhooks here!
wobeeb

Post by wobeeb »

From my conversation with the school and having read some earlier threads on this website that is definitely not the case.

Because someone is not called for an interview does not imply that they will not recieve an offer. The interviews as I understand it are to aid selection in terms of who will be given an AP or scholarship. In fact, whilst I have been informally told (still waiting for official call) that my DS will be having an interview along with a considerable number of other boys for an AP. I don't think this in anyway guarantees him an AP, as they have a select no. of AP places available and quite a few candidates from which to choose.

We like you are still on tenterhooks!!
beeblebrox

Post by beeblebrox »

Thanks wobeeb,

We wouldn't qualify for an AP and he's not likely to be in the running for a scholarship, so perhaps no news is good news for us!

That probably won't stop me stressing though!

The phone call thing is a bit of a surprise, I assumed any call for interview would come via the post?
firsttimermum

Post by firsttimermum »

Hi!

Called KES today as was getting anxious, and was told DS did really well, and was invited to interview on wenesday. They will call anyone who has applied for an AP/scholarship these two weeks. He is in the first lot to be interviewed so hopefully that will be a good sign.

Lets see how it goes!!

ANXIOUS, SCARED :?
FTM
BB248

Post by BB248 »

What a lot of promising news! Let's hope it keeps coming.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now