Advice please

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

twinkles

Advice please

Post by twinkles »

I am asking on behalf of a friend whose daughter is doing 'A' levels this year.

Last year my friend offered to take her daughter to some universities to have a look round but the offer was declined.

She knows that her daughter has applied to some universities, she only knows this because her daughter has had replies from a couple, but her daughter is very secretive and won't tell her anything that is going on so she hasn't a clue how the whole applying to universities, going to look round, interviews etc. work. She obviously doesn't know what her daughter is intending to study but is presuming it is maths as this is her best subject.

So I just wondered if perhaps someone could tell me how it all works - do you get offers from universities and then you wait to get your results and then decide which university to choose or do you have to have interviews as well or just some do interviews etc. etc. - as you can gather I don't have a clue either!

I am sure her daughter will get round to telling her which universities she wants taking to for said interviews with only a moments notice though!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi

varies - some places intenview and then give an offer - others just give an offer. Then you have to see if you get the A levels to match...... It is all done on line these days

I think your friends daughter will have to involve her parents if she expects them to help out with fees and funding for living expenses.

She may wish to be independent but unless she has a generous trust find somewhere she is going to have to involve the parents and if they are digging deep into the pockets they have a right to know.
KB

Post by KB »

If they go onto the UCAS web site they should be able to get quite a bit of info from there.
Could they not contact the school to talk to someone there? The application will have gone through the school/college. Given that at best the student can only just be 18 has the school not been in touch with the parents previously?

Basically:
Can apply for up to 5 Universities. This is done on-line through UCAS (central system). Deadline just gone I think.
Universities can then either reject an application or make an offer conditional on A level grades or call the student for an interview. Those who make offer often have post-offer open days as well.
When a student has had a response from all the places they applied to they have a few weeks to make their decision: they can hold up to two offers(their favourite & a second that will take them with lower grades).
Come results day in August the Universities will confirm offer if grades obtained (and sometimes if a near miss!)
Otherwise student has option of going through clearing system - Universities still with places look for students without confirmed places.

Application for LEA to pay fees, student loans etc has to be completed in part by parents - detailed financial info. required if applying for means tested payments.

Please don't all 'yell' that I've missed bits - trying to be brief :) but helpful.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Sounds just right to me KB!

... amaing we did all this on bits of paper at one time :? used to hold up the offer envelopes to see if they had a red or green dot on the paper inside ... red was rejection / green was offer.
KB

Post by KB »

And clearing was done without mobile phones/e-mail/computers - by sending slips of paper back & forth for days/weeks.

Now its pretty much over in hours :)

Guess the numbers are rather bigger these days :)
Amber

Re: Advice please

Post by Amber »

She knows that her daughter has applied to some universities, she only knows this because her daughter has had replies from a couple, but her daughter is very secretive and won't tell her anything that is going on so she hasn't a clue how the whole applying to universities, going to look round, interviews etc. work. She obviously doesn't know what her daughter is intending to study but is presuming it is maths as this is her best subject.
I assume this independent-minded daughter will also be financing the whole thing herself? I think if one of mine refused to tell me anything about what s/he was applying for, I would refuse to pay for it!

Or am I just a mean old witch?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

no amber - you are not a mean old witch!

The kid in question is perfectly entitled to do whatever she wants but if she wants any funding from parents then she is going to have to discuss it with them... I suspect she will have no clue just how much money is involved, may think she can live at home and fees are something everyone else pays!
twinkles

Post by twinkles »

Thanks for all your replies, very helpful. I will pass the information on to her.

I have no idea how her daughter plans to finance things. I know she was given some money from her grandfather for passing her GCSE's but I don't think that will last long. Her parents do not have much money at all as her father is unable to work and her mother is his carer but she does work one day a week. I know her mother was trying to save money for university but I don't think, to be honest, she has a clue how much she will need.

I think her daughter is incredibly selfish and I have told her she shouldn't just drop everything to take her daughter to see these universities when she is eventually asked to try and make her realise that life does not revolve around her and if she wants her mother to take her places she has a right to know what is going on, but I guess that's easy for me to say.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Twinkles

this is difficult for the parents. If they aren't earning much then the DD will be able to apply for some help with funding - BUT will need to involve parents as it is based on their income.

I asked on here a while back about how much people found that having a DC at University cost them. I'll see if I can find the thread. The fees are £3000 a year and then there is the upkeep which depends on what type of accomodation / distance to travel / etc etc
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now