missed by one mark-week to go to appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

seb

missed by one mark-week to go to appeal

Post by seb »

This is my first time on here and really could do with some advice please.
My son got 111 and 120, his last year Cat scores were VR 114, Q 141, Non Verbal 141, He is midly dyslexic and was never going to do well in a verbal reasonong test. To his merit when we opened the results he said " i didnt think i would do so well, ". lovely boy..he got 5 b in maths at end of year 5. i know so many great kids going for appeal and realise that not all will get in. The head has given him a 2: 1. How much do we mention Dysexia? thank you for your time,
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

The Q and NVR are superb, as is 5b level for year 5 Maths!

A very brief mention of mild dyslexia is all that's needed. The panel will need some evidence.

Your case is basically that you have a bright son for whom the format of the 11+ is not ideal. Pass on that marvellous quote: " i didnt think i would do so well! "

Don't say too much. Keep it brief, let the facts speak for themselves, and hope you have a receptive panel.
Etienne
seb

Post by seb »

thank you so much for your advice, x
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Seb

As Etienne says, those QR and NVR scores are fantastic.

The discrepancy is considerable and is certainly going to be obvious to a panel, and it indicates quite clearly that he is held back in his VR ability by the dyslexia.

I think he did very well indeed to get 120, and I hope that the panel may feel the same way. It is only one mark, and you do seem to have very strong evidence of ability, at least on the CATs.

Do his school books (other than where the dyslexia interferes) stand up to close scrutiny?

Sally-Anne
seb

Post by seb »

His school work is very good. Do you think getting a lower score on the first paper will make a difference?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Seb

The panel will certainly look at that score of 111, and you are likely to get a few questions about what went wrong, but ultimately I think they will look at the discrepancy in the scores and conclude that it is not representative, because the 120 clearly shows that he is capable of more.

Although the two papers are described as being of the same difficulty, that is not necessarily the case for a dyslexic child. It might be that the question types on the second paper played more to his strengths.

Good to hear that the school books are up to scratch!

Sally-Anne
seb

Post by seb »

My son was sick for a week before the eleven plus exam, I made the decision to send in for the exam because he slept well the night before, ate a good breakfast. When he came back from the exam he was exhausted. I have a letter from the GP but i havent included it but should I bring it to the appeal panel.?The first test was the lower mark of 111?
I dont want to be seen to be throwing everthing at the case! so pleased to find this forum!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Seb

Was in in school for the couple of days before the test, or was the day of the first test his first day back?

In general terms I really wouldn't go down this route at all, not even if they say to you "is there any other reason why he didn't perform on the day" and push the point.

Panels do not like "sick kiddy stories". If he was fit for school he was fit for the test. If he wasn't, he shouldn't have taken it that day, and it is as simple as that.

If you have a scanner, send a copy of the GP letter to the appealsbox and I will just glance at it to make sure, but I really would stick to the academic evidence and the mild dyslexia.

Sally-Anne
seb

Post by seb »

Good I havent sent it in ! he was still off school the day before the test, his sister was off the week before.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Seb

Do scan and send us the GP letter if you can, but I am still very wary of taking this route. I really wouldn't want to see your hearing waylaid by the illness because you need to keep the panel focused on the 120 and the dyslexia and high QR/NVR scores.

You might take 5 extra copies of the letter with you and, if the panel are really pressing you hard for more reasons on the first test, submit it very reluctantly, but return to the academic evidence as fast as you possibly can.

Sally-Anne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now