my school uses cats not sats

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
sweetiepie

my school uses cats not sats

Post by sweetiepie »

Hi
Apologies if I'm posting in the wrong place but this is my first time.
Could you please offer me some advice with the following: we are going to appeal, my child achieved VRT score of 117 (we have v extenuating circumstances)which has been submitted along with last school report and most recent cat scores. However, my child attends a prep school who use cat testing instead of sats. My childs cat results are above average in all three areas but how do I relate these to sats. Any advice you are able to give would be very much appreciated. I have been lead to believe by an unsuccessful parent that their panel did not hold much belief in cats and she did not know what to say when they asked the question about this. and I don't want my child to be penalised because the school do not do sats. Thank you for your time.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

It would be fair enough to say that a CAT score cannot be directly compared with the 11+ because they are standardised differently, but SATs predictions are perhaps even less reliable! Personally I never came across an appeal panel that wasn't interested in seeing CAT results.

If you want to study the relationship between CATs and the curriculum, you will find more information here
http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache:L5 ... clnk&gl=uk
but most panel members probably won't be familiar with CATs as a predictor of success in curriculum tests. They will just look at them as alternative evidence of ability, and I think that is how you should present them (not as an alternative to SATs). The scores should be more than above average - to make a good impression they should ideally be 'well above average' and towards the top end of stanine 8.

The point of an appeal is that you can introduce alternative evidence. Most appellants are going to have SATs levels because most children attend state schools. In your situation - without SATs - you need to ensure that you have as much alternative evidence as possible. See here for the different types of evidence:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... rs.php#b11
Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now