Is it too late?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Hector

Is it too late?

Post by Hector »

I know that people get offered places at schools outside of the usual run of exams/interviews, for example when moving into an area. Can one assume that these would be full fee-paying places only?
A friend will be moving shortly, meaning new schols for the children. One is currently in Yr7 on an AP, whilst other has just sat exams for Yr7 (don't know if passed, but not options after move).
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

tricky Hector - depends on the school and if they have any money left I reckon. Some will take kids in and they can go for scholarships eg at year 9.
My experience of kids moving from a scholarship at one indie to another school was that the new school were not very helpful, put them in lower streams to start etc ... but that was just one place!
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

I think it will depend with circumstances

If they are going to be pay full fees then there are still some places. I have just rung Kings School in Cantebury and they still do have places for year 7+ for this year even though they have done the entrance exams already.

I am not too familiar with scholarships and bursaries but from my little knowledge I think it maybe a bit difficult to go down this route for late entry. Most schools seem to have a specific number of children they take on scholarships and bursaries and these seem to be on major entry points like 11+ and 13+ and most need to know early on if you need.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Thanks. I think my friend was hoping that one or preferably both her children would be able to go via an AP. Unfortunately, the move is due to family breakdown and not the financial boost of new work.
I know that the schools have year groups they favour, and persumably hardship funding is for those all ready at the schools, but is it too late for even the Yr 6 child?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Hector - I think year 6 child has best chance ... but they are goingt o have to get on with ASAP as lots of the schools have done / are doing their exams at the moment. Some have late exams for kids moving into the area... have to get on the phone and see what they say
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now