Haberdashers Boys interview and places

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
DSDDmum

Haberdashers Boys interview and places

Post by DSDDmum »

Hi - I am new to the 11+ forum. Have so many questions....

Does anybody out there know how many places will be offered for Habs boys and how many will be interviewed ?
coolmum123

Post by coolmum123 »

I think there are 150 places available and they interview about 200ish boys. This is what I recall from last year when my DS sat the entrance exams - so the numbers may be slightly different.
floarnie

Post by floarnie »

150 places in Y7 but 50 of which are from their own prep. So there are around 100 places available for the 11+ entry.
DSDDmum

Post by DSDDmum »

Ok - thanks for the information
bav

Re: Haberdashers Boys interview and places

Post by bav »

does anybody know the interview tips and information regarding habs boys please?
quest4gs

Post by quest4gs »

I was told by HT that interviews lasts for 1 week starting on wednesday, which means those who read this posting before next tuesday will have an advantage.

BTW, HT also said that there are 320 boys at this stage to fill approx 100 places.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi the response above is about another post I have removed as it gave fairly detailed info about the interviews and could affect interviews to come over the next few days.

Hermanmunster (moderator)

All interviews over now!! 3.2.10
floarnie wrote:DS had his interview today.
Group discussion - had to describe a picture of uncle Sam ?!
No mental arithmatic.
Asked about hobbies.
Read a passage and answered some questions on it.
Asked which other schools he applied and why he wanted to go to habs.
We had no more than 5 mins with the headmaster. Asked him if he could tell us our DS result. He said no as they don't interview borderline cases, and everyone they interviewed would have scored 85% or higher.
So well done to all those who have made it to the interview stage. Should be proud of them.
mushroom

Post by mushroom »

Anyone any ideas as to why they would interview 320 for only 100 places this year?

Are they having a lot of offers rejected? Are the children so prepared for the exams that there is little differentiation in the marks? Can they no longer rely on primary school reports because they have become bland due to parents routinely asking to see a copy?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

mushroom wrote:Anyone any ideas as to why they would interview 320 for only 100 places this year?

Are they having a lot of offers rejected? Are the children so prepared for the exams that there is little differentiation in the marks? Can they no longer rely on primary school reports because they have become bland due to parents routinely asking to see a copy?
Hi Mushroom

From a distance I woudl say any or all of those. They may well find that lots of the offered places are turned down when the state results come out or a bursary is not forthcoming.
floarnie

Post by floarnie »

320 seems high going by what the headteacher told us. He said that Habs only interviewed those who achieve 85% and above in the exams. But I know that they do offer interviews automatically to all boys from certain prep schools nearby and siblings.

Post in the last couple of years indicated a lower number of 175 though.