When to start a tuor

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
february

When to start a tutor

Post by february »

Hi

I have a year 4 child and have started to consider 11+ options (we're in the Chelmsford area). From talking to other parents, it seems that the January before the exam seems the most popular time to start tutoring. That said, I also get the impression that many tutors are booked even earlier. Any advice please as to when to start a tutor and where and when it is best to have the tutoring. Have read the advice here but still confused as to how to find a good tutor and what I should be looking for!

Thx

PS Do tutors generally give an opinion as to whether or not the child is likely to be successful? :roll :?
february

Post by february »

It would help if I could spell tutor!!!! :lol:
moved

Post by moved »

Hi, I would advise that you start in the January before the exam. Prior to this you need to encourage reading, listening to story CDs, playing word games such as Boggle and Scrabble. Big brain and similar games on the DS or WII.

Regarding a tutor, recommendation is always best. Talk to the tutor, are they selective about the children that they take on, what is their passrate (although this is subjective as some take on children that are unlikely to pass). Do you and your child like the tutor? What will homework requirements be like? How long is each session, is it individual or group teaching?

With respect to a likely outcome in the exam, a few sessions are normally required to evaluate speed/system of learning, commitment, etc.

Hope this helps

Moved
february

Post by february »

Thanks for that, will certainly take up the advice re word games and will contact several tutors with my growing list of questions!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now