Waiting Lists for Indi schools

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
kiki

Waiting Lists for Indi schools

Post by kiki »

Hi
Am new to this, and very stressed by the whole 11+ process.

My Ds has applied to 3 Indie schools. One he didn't get an interview for.
He has been offerd a place at another one, but it was a fail safe and it is not that great.
For our first choice school he sat the interview, but he was asked some tricky questions,he did his best but i don't think it went that well.
I know we hear on 19th Feb. If he gets on the waiting list, what chance does he actually have of getting in?
Does antone have any experience of being on a waiting list.
Any advice much appreciated. :?:
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

If you think about it your DS has taken 3 exams and many other children with have taken 3 or more. Quite a lot will have been offered 3 or more places - they can' t go to all the schools !

The first thing that happens is that the schools tend to "over offer" ... sometimes by as much as 50% or more to ensure that they get full classes. Others offer less and have waiting lists. Depending on how many places they offer in the first place determines how quickly they start on the waiting list...
pebbles

Post by pebbles »

Don't worry, as said before children usually take up to 5 11+ exams some even more! and many get offers at all their schools, so places are released. Last year I knew of several friends on waiting lists holding on to a 'back up' school- very stressful for all concerned- but in all but one case the waiting list places became available eventually. It is possible to ring the registrar if you are in that situation and to ask your position on the waiting list. You may find you get very friendly with the regisrtar!
Hector

Post by Hector »

Do all schools operate a waiting list system then? Or are some able just to offer directly knowing they are always first choice? :roll:
If there is a waiting list system, is it always obvious (ie you're told your child is on the list) or is it just those who persist get there in the end. :?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi

yes you would be told that you are on the waitng list.

there are some schools who wouldlike to think they are automatically first choice but it is often wishful thinking and they would have to have some back up or end up with empty slots next year.

Some simply over offer and then if they have got their sums right they have no waiting list and no spaces.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Soooo, if you aren't offered either an actual place or a place on a waiting list, then you're definitely NOT IN?:idea: :?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

eeeeeee Hector, I suspect that might be the case.

Do you mind saying whcih school - someone may have experience of how they run the admission there.?
kiki

Post by kiki »

hermanmunster wrote:eeeeeee Hector, I suspect that might be the case.

Do you mind saying whcih school - someone may have experience of how they run the admission there.?
KGS
Kingston grammar school
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now