Organistional Skills

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

80's girl

Organisational Skills

Post by 80's girl »

My son has started a new secondary school in September. I have no problems in that he is working hard and doing well.

It has obviously been a big change for him in that he has had to become far more independent catching the train to and from school, timetables etc etc.

He is coping with the homework side of things, but in other areas he is struggling with the organisation, I still find I have to check he has got everything with him when he leaves for school because otherwise he leaves something important at home, and he is constantly losing things.

He is very laid back, but I feel that if he doesn't start to improve soon I may jump off a bridge in despair! I know it is difficult for him to go out in the mornings with a bag which weighs half a ton in the pitch black, so I do try and be understanding, but I feel if he doesn't improve it may begin to impact on his school work. At a recent parents evening there were a couple of comments concerning a rocket and his bum!

I think what I am trying to seek advice on is firstly how can I help him? I have tried not to shout when he loses yet another piece of kit, or leaves something on the train again, and instead have made him pay towards the replacement. He genuinely is sorry, and I really don't think he can help this. I have 2 other boys who are better organised, but haven't had to deal with the level of change he has as yet.

Has anyone had a similar child and found they have turned a corner as they've got older? Many thanks in advance.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Hi Mommyjo,

Boys! :evil: I know this is easier said than done but I think you have to stop making sure he has all of his things. If he continues to lose things he will either get in trouble, miss out on activities or be embarassed that he's doing PE in his vest! Only when he takes full responsibility for this will he start to organise himself.

Now, to listen to my own advice! :roll: :wink:
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I have a son and husband who are the same..

unfortunately a change hasn't happened yet.

son 17
husband 51

:roll:
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

:lol: :lol: Just got back from the lost property dept. at the bus station, happily found the swimming kit bag Y9 DS had left on the bus. :roll:

It does get better, slowly. This probably doesn't help but I am just grateful that my DS is happy at school and coping with the workload, the lost property in the scheme of things is not a big issue. I buy rugby mouth guards by the dozen, swimming goggles three at a time, just so I have spares..... In year 7 I had to replace textbooks that then re-appeared. :roll: Calculator replaced twice, clearly marked in bold with initials and form group, where do they hide?

DS2 in year 5 has the makings of a bigger disaster, DD in year 3 is so careful with all possessions. So I say it is a boy thing. :oops:

steve
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

:oops:

I left my favourite scarf in shop cafe yesterday, it hadsn;t been found

:oops:
80's girl

Post by 80's girl »

Thank you Tipsy, I know you are right, but I would hate the idea of him getting in trouble for forgeting his homework he has worked so hard on.

Recently he left his swimming kit on the train (never to be seen again) and had to do his lesson in THE spare set of trunks which happened to be canary yellow speedos which were very tight as he is a big lad! What could be worse?

I will try and be tougher and firmer about him getting his stuff organised the night before without checking.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

mommyjo wrote:
Recently he left his swimming kit on the train (never to be seen again) and had to do his lesson in THE spare set of trunks which happened to be canary yellow speedos which were very tight as he is a big lad! What could be worse?
well if that doesn;t teach him a lesson I'm not sure what will :lol:
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
80's girl

Post by 80's girl »

Yes Yoyo123 I have often made that very same connection between father and son!

Stevew61, thank you, I totally take on board your point about the big picture, and he is working hard. However,I am concerned that now he is well into his 1st year, his organisation should be getting better. A couple of teachers did bring it up at his 1st parents evening, and I don't wish it to become an 'issue.' The fact that he is not the quickest of boys also does not help, although he has greatly improved.

You're lucky with the bag, he has never got anything back he has left on the train, and as for the goggles, I think we keep Zoggs in business!
andyb

Post by andyb »

Hi mommyjo

What you have written could be about my boy! He does homework and leaves it at home or loses it completely - gets in trouble, lunchtime detentions. He forgets a key text book needed to complete homework. He breaks or loses stuff - lunchtime detentions for not having the correct equipment in school and I make him pay for replacements. His bag weighs an absolute ton and I dread to think what it is doing to his back. We are currently missing a pair of rugby shorts "Oh, someone said there was a pair left in the changing room but I was sure mine were in my bag" "Did you double check?" "No I was 100% sure I had them" :evil:

At parents evening back in October his form tutor said he was one of the more organised boys - OMG :shock:

If anyone does have a failsafe way of organising boys, please let me know!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now