Nefer results

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ritz667

Nefer results

Post by ritz667 »

firstly apologises if this is the wrong forum for this posting, however my son got his nefer results this morning from school, however i am confused as to the intrepretation. He has just turned 10 (end of December 09)

For english he recieved a score of 115, maths 117 and non verbal 128
average of 120, is this considered acceptable for him to enter the state selective and indpendant school exams or would we be wasting our time.

Many thanks
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

My son, (who's birthday is also late December) got his results this week also (119 x 2, 122). I wasn't sure how to interpret them and found this earlier thread.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... php?t=5134

Also, in Kent last year, you needed an average of 120 to get into most grammer schools (super selectives were 140).

Hope that helps.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

KCC allow you to have slightly less on one paper , so pass is usually round about 121, 121, 115 (actual marks vary each year )
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

yoyo, I think thats not quite right. To pass in Kent you need 360 with no more than one paper lower than a figure that varies each year eg 115 ( although if I recall correctly this year it was 117). Your example wouldn't have been a pass.

Pheasantchick, for the superselectives in Kent you need a high score but there is as far as I am aware no need to get 140 in each paper. The max score is 420 ( ie 3x140) but children with less than that have get into the superselectives in Kent ( i think for example the cut off last year for Judd was around 414). It will vary from year to year.
ritz667

Nefer results

Post by ritz667 »

thanks for your replies

it seems my son is right on the borderline for selection, either 9 months of pure hard work or off to the local comprehensive...............!1
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

Don't panic. 9 months is a long time. With regular familiarisation I am sure that your DS's scores will improve. The NVR looks very good already.
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

Twinkle wrote:yoyo, I think thats not quite right. To pass in Kent you need 360 with no more than one paper lower than a figure that varies each year eg 115 ( although if I recall correctly this year it was 117). Your example wouldn't have been a pass.
The pass mark and scheme have varied over the last few years. The cumulative score has only been used last couple of years, and "Yoyo's marks" would have passed three years ago.
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

Thats interesting DadofKent. Do you know whether the scheme is going to be changed from what is was this year? I have younger children who will be taking the Kent11+ in the next few years and it would be good to know. It looks as if was easier to pass on the old scheme.
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

Twinkle wrote:Thats interesting DadofKent. Do you know whether the scheme is going to be changed from what is was this year? I have younger children who will be taking the Kent11+ in the next few years and it would be good to know. It looks as if was easier to pass on the old scheme.
If the past 3 years are anything to go by the precise marking/pass scheme only becomes known at about the time the results come out.

Swings and roundabouts as to which is easier. I am aware of a child who failed on the non-cumulative scheme with 118, 119, and 140, and which would have been a comfortable pass the following year.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now