AYLESBURY BOYS V THE LATIN

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

AYLESBURY BOYS V THE LATIN

Post by Guest »

HI ,
Does anyone have any insight into the above two schools? IE academics ,sports , pastoral care. We put them down as 1st and second choice and now wonder if our second choice should actually be the 1st!!
how does one stand after being offered a catchment schoool which was a 1st choice and wish to change to the second choice which is out of catchment? Do you go on a waitng list? OR are you allocated during the second round of allocations?
THANKS
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

What are your son's strengths? I know both schools quite well and will comment further if you can give me more detail.

Where do you live? Which catchment are you in?

They are both good schools so do you want a mixed or all boys environment?

If you change your mind you may have to go to appeal depending on how places are allocated.

I would make appointments to go round both as soon as you can - before allocation day so you know what you want.

Post by Guest »

hi Guest 55,
we live in buckingham, seen both schools during the open evenings last year, got a better 'feel ' for the latin more than aylesbury but it was quite late by the time we arrived in aylesbury,we were however impressed by their presentation in the hall.
Son is bright but a bit layed back , needs a disciplined enviroment, fairly good at maths , keen interest in science and humanities, improving with english and creative writing, not keen on sport!
Not sure if the Latin are firm enough on discipline .
We put the Latin as a first choice as we're in catchment , but have a 'nagging' thought as to if it should be the other way round.Unsure if we would get in anyway as we are out of catchment, it might all be too late now ,don't quite know what to do for best.
Thank yOU.
Guest1663

Post by Guest1663 »

We have a child at the Royal Latin and have always been impressed with the high expectations of the pupils in terms of achievement and behaviour, and a very good standard of teaching. As with any school, you do get occasional troublemakers :roll: but by all accounts they are dealt with promptly and without things getting out of hand. Like yours my own child is quite laid back, and needs a bit of a push to get on with things, but any lapses e.g. missed homework are noted in the weekly planner by the teacher concerned. Two such negative comments in one week warrant a lunchtime detention (so far our little cherub has managed to avoid such sanctions!)

Can't comment on the Aylesbury school, I'm afraid. But if I lived in Buckingham I don't think I would look further afield, it's all down to what suits your son best. You probably wouldn't qualify for transport and would have to take him and collect every day, which can be a problem if you have other children to deal with. (Speaking from experience!)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I agree totally with guest1663 - the Latin sounds exactly right for your son.

They track the pupils levels and the planner is well used by staff to keep you informed. Good KS3 support - split lunch means Y7 can get into lunch - locker system for possessions [none at AGS as far as I know]

The accommodation is better and more up-to-date resources for teachers e.g. data projectors.

Ask more if you need to.

Post by Guest »

Thank you both Guest55 and 1663.
I Feel more reassured ,I think I may be panicking ! The Latin is lovely but seemed quite relaxed, and I was a afraid with his laid back attitude , it may cause problems , in that he may not be 'pushed' but am glad to hear they keep a close 'eye' on them.
I think I will stick with them. Panic over...hopefully!!
Thank you once again.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Both schools have, I believe, a very good reputation. If co-education and a local school are important factors, then RLS would be my choice if living in the catchment area.

Academically, however, AGS appears stronger. Only three Bucks grammar schools got into the BBC league table of top schools for A level results:
1. Dr. Challoner's Grammar
2. Aylesbury Grammar
3. Royal Grammar
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/6250419.stm
Etienne
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

However note that RLS has better value-added than AGS - historically AGS intake are more able - this may be reversing with the distance rules coming into play. Recent Ofsted criticised AGS for not tracking pupils' progress ...
Guest38

Post by Guest38 »

Guest55,

Could you please explain what you mean by distance rules coming into play? I am only curious as my son had a successful appeal and his first choice is AGS, second Henry Floyd (both are our catchment area). Last year for AGS entry allocation all catchment boys offered, out-area siblings and some other out-area boys to distance of 6.710 miles. In your experience and knowledge would you agree he has a reasonable chance of 1st choice school? After not achieving 121 and going through the appeal process I am taking nothing for granted!!!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Hi Guest38,

Yes - if you are in catchment you should get first choice school [and well done on successful appeal by the way]

In the past places were allocated on scores and it was easier to get into AGS with a high score, it is not so now as it's down to distance from school

So the intake of some schools [e.g the average VR score] has changed in the last two years - some Grammars have attracted more able pupils than in the past.

Even with Grammars you have to look at value-added - raw results do not tell the whole story - their intakes vary more than you would imagine!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now