If 50 places how many offers would an indie generally make?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

splishy

If 50 places how many offers would an indie generally make?

Post by splishy »

I've seen on a couple of threads that a school with (say) 75 places might send out 150 offers, allowing for those who will have other first choice preferences etc turning them down. Anyone know if this is a good guide to go on? I find the whole over-offering scenario difficult to get my head round as they could potentially come unstuck and have to build another classroom pdq!
LazyDaisy

Post by LazyDaisy »

I'm trying to remember what a local school told me!! :D

I think they said they made 90 offers for 70 places or something like that.

They were caught out 2 years ago when they had more acceptances than expected and had to create an extra class.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Westminster offers 175 for 120 places. I don't know why anyone would turn down Westminster other than for St Paul's, because the latter is cheaper. Mind you we haven't turned them down but haven't accepted the place either yet. In fact there was no deadline in the letter so if the place is gone I will be annoyed as not only was their no deadline I did email them about this and they never replied. :?
LazyDaisy

Post by LazyDaisy »

That's a poor show, Tipsy, and doesn't give you a very good impression of the school.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Yes, but I still love the school and as they haven't put a deadline then the place has to be kept open. Still, you know me - won't have made my mind up until the final hour! :roll:
Hector

Post by Hector »

Tipsy, how do you get your information? :P
It's amazing what you know! :wink:
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I only know that because my son got a place at Westminster. :) The rest, well I'm psychic! :wink: :lol:
pebbles

Post by pebbles »

Schools have a really hard time knowing how many offers to make. And they do make mistakes. latymer Upper have had a couple of years where they have had to open an extra class. I think the difficult was as it was early days in coed and difficult to judge how popular they were likely to be. I suppose the more popular the school the less likely they are to offer lots of places. I know last year St Paul's girl did not take many or possibly any from their waiting list. So it's probably best not even to think about it!
zorro

Post by zorro »

But I thought you were moving to Gloucestershire? Am I having a blonde moment? :?
ElizaBennett

Post by ElizaBennett »

I know that last year Hampton Boys had to take an extra class because they significantly over-offered. I guess it depends very much on the year. Actually at the Hampton interview session the head talked about the difficulty they had in predicting accurately how many offers to make, knowing that many of their top candidates would receive multiple offers.

Some people might choose St Paul's not because it is cheaper but because it's closer to home - 10 minutes rather than an hour away! :D