commas - help!!

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
wizard

commas - help!!

Post by wizard »

Finding it difficult to track down some clear rules for comma use to go over with my 9 yr old. We are ok on using them for lists but need some info for other uses.

Also I thought you didn't use commas immed before or after and but one of the Nfer papers seems to think a comma before and is ok. Any opinions on this?
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

doodles

Post by doodles »

I was always taught that the bit in commas could be taken out of the sentence and the sentence would still make sense eg:

"It was decided, quite quickly, that we should go on a picnic."

Hope this helps - very happy to be corrected if this is no longer the case - it was centuries ago that I learned this!!
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Wizard, yes you can use a comma before 'and' in some instances, it's called an 'Oxford comma' and it's two most common usages are a) in a list to avoid ambiguity and b) particularly in poetry or drama where the addition of a comma more closely matches the cadences of the sentence were it being spoken rather than written.

However in English the default position is not to have a comma unless it feels/sounds necessary.

HTH,
Rob
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Yes, thanks. :) We will be using some of that to supplement KS2 punctuation in our 11+ spot the mistakes quest.

steve
wizard

Post by wizard »

Thanks for your answers and links on commas - much appreciated
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now