Any tips for Type F(missing 3 letter word in longer word)?

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Cassandra

Any tips for Type F(missing 3 letter word in longer word)?

Post by Cassandra »

Hi all,

This is my first post and I would really appreciate some help!

I have recently started tutoring my son (currently in Year 5) for the Bucks 11 plus. I've explained the 21 types using the IPS M&T book and we are now onto the short (50 Qs) IPS practice papers.

My son seems to be struggling with Type F - missing three letter word (e.g. 'We won a COUT at the fair' (CON) ). I didn't expect this as he loves reading, has a good vocabulary and is fine (so far anyway!) with the opposites/similars/analogy questions.

Does anyone have any tips/advice as to how I can help him?
bromley mum

Post by bromley mum »

Don't know if this is the right way to do these but my DC found it very helpful to read out the sentence and sounding out the first few letters. Usually the word would just "slip" out while reading the sentence and then DC checked to see if it made sense.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Cassandra

The missing word can go at the beginning, at the end or between any of the letters.

The sentence is always a clue to what the whole word should be, not the missing three letter word.

Sometimes you can see the big word and missing word immediately.

The children GATED in the hall
The children GATHERED in the Hall

If you cannot see the answer immediately start looking for letter blends that do NOT go together. e.g.

His general KNOWGE was outstanding. Possible answers:

WED
ONE
BAN

You KNOW that the letters W and G do NOT go together; you therefore know the missing word MUST go between these letters. Try sounding out the words from the options given, if not write it down in a logical manner, not randomly.

KNOWWEDGE = not a word
KNOWAGEED = not a word
KNOWLEDGE = definitely a word, does it make sense in the sentence?

His general KNOWLEDGE was outstanding = yes.

You can also look for letter blends that often DO GO together e.g.

He was a very ABLE student.

Possible answers:

MAP
RIM
SIP
CAP
RIP

You KNOW that often words end in ABLE therefore start by trying to put the words offered in front of ABLE. Try sounding out the words from the options given, if not WRITE IT DOWN in a logical manner, not randomly.

MAPABLE = No
RIMABLE = No
SIPABLE = No
CAPABLE = Yes, does it make sense in the sentence?

He was a very CAPABLE student. = Yes.

If your child cannot see any clues from the letter blends then they will have to sound out or write out all possibilities.

Speed writing is essential, does not matter what it looks like, very quick rough writing.

Patricia
Cassandra

Post by Cassandra »

Dear Bromley Mum and Patricia,

Thanks so much for responding so quickly - I'll try out your advice during our next session. I think I probably didn't teach this type of question v. well as I (mistakenly) thought that this would be one of the types that would just come naturally to him.

Cassandra
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

The thing with multiple choice is to use the answers to help you
fruit salad

Post by fruit salad »

Hi, with my older child (now at grammar school) we made a snap game, putting the 3 letter words on one set of cards, and the remaining letters on another set. (We used our out of date business cards for this.) I'm now getting my younger child ready for the 11 plus in November and she's pretty good at this type of question, so maybe it is because we played this game together last year.
Cassandra

Post by Cassandra »

Thanks so much to everyone who replied - the tips have really helped and my son got all of these correct on our past 2 practice papers! I'm so glad that this forum exists!!
Cassandra