How many entrance exams did you put your DCs through?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
sherry_d

How many entrance exams did you put your DCs through?

Post by sherry_d »

Just wondering I have seen that a few seem to have had their DCs take a few entrance exams test. How many did you put your kids through

I am thinking DD will probably do about 5 and that seems quite a lot and in addition some of the schools require interviews. That sounds like so gruelling for my baby DD :cry:

I really want to go the indie route if we get the school of our dreams but then again we may need a scholarship or bursary to help us so my plan is as follows

2 11+ grammar test - one for kent and one for medway
3 indies test - the third one is more like an assessment

And God knows how many interviews and if we decide to go for scholarships that means even more. The only thing is the 11+ will be in sep and then the indies one will be in january but still thats no big consolation. We are also planning on going away for 2-3 weeks abroad around christmas as DH's sister is getting married...

I feel like I am really pushing it with my DD and would just want to find out how your DC 's managed if they had a fair bit of these tests
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

My dd did:

1 x 11+

2 x indies (plus 2 interviews - one for each school)
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Same as Snowdrops.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

I think you have sealed what I have been thinking too. 5 sounds like an overkill. I am just a little scared about the unkown.

I could probably take off the 11+ for medway. I had really put it as a safe choice as most kids I know who failed the kent test went on to pass the medway test. I also have an indie which is OKish I could take off.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

In fairness, the reason my son and daughter only sat 3 is because there is only one GS and there were only two independent schools we would consider (travelling times/reputation etc)
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

DD and Ds's prep advised max of 3 exams. Art was deciding which ones - turned out 3 was plenty for everyone
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

DS sat three but the only one I would consider an exam was Westminster and then he was called back for an interview 3 months later.

One was a computer test (fun then) and an interview straight afterwards.

One was an "informal" chat during a tour of the boarding house and then the House Master sat him in a lesson. He wanted to see how quickly boys caught on to what was being taught - not what they already knew.

TBH it really was a breeze as he was taken with a group of boys to the schools and had no prep. I think lots of prep is more of a big deal for the kids than the tests.
Hector

Post by Hector »

My DD sat 3 indies with 3 interviews. Enough for all concerned. The art as HM said is picking the 3 correctly :roll:
Hector

Post by Hector »

BYW, no 11+ in area otherwise there would have just have been 1 :lol:
zorro

Post by zorro »

My DS did 2 X selective state schools and 3 indies. He wasn't at all bothered by this amount as they were fairly spread out, but I think more than this would be silly.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now