Interview techniques

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

marigold11

Interview techniques

Post by marigold11 »

Hi,

My son has been shortlisted for one of 3 scholarships for upto 100% of the fees that are given each year to our local independent school. Great news as we only considered it in Nov after realising the local comps aren't that great and being in Wales the local ones teach through the medium of welsh which he doesn't enjoy.

On Friday he has a half hour interview with the warden and I wondered if anyone had any idea of what kind of questions he might be asked or anything else we can do to prepare him. He has already sat the entrance exams (English, NVR and Maths) and had a short interview with one of the teachers which involved several puzzles.

Also can anyone enlighten me as to the use of DS and DD (I presume it means son or daughter but can't quite work out why?)

many thanks.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi

yes DS / DD mean

dear / darling/ dastardly / deafening

son or daughter - take your pick...

Good luck with the interview.
nissi

Post by nissi »

Favourite subject/ current book reading/ favourite book, film/ Hobbies(not watching TV/playing PSP/DS)/Why do you want to come to this school/ What could you contribute to the school/What do you want to be when you grow up/ Reading a passage and being asked comprehension like questions/ more puzzles / current events- think Haiti earthquake and perhaps poor weather and upcoming general election/ If you could be anyone for a day../ If money were no object...

Lots of other posts relating to interview questions and techniques on the forum that you might find useful in the independent section....
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Eye contact, put his hand out for a firm hand shake - none of this wet, limp hand malarky! If he gets asked a question that he has the perfect answer for make him pretend to be thinking first before he blurts it out as it will seem rehearsed. I told DS not to be a "Yes Sir, No Sir" at his Eton interview as they want kids that have a bit of gumption. In reality he is a "Yes Sir, No Sir" boy so at least he won't get into trouble when/if he goes there! :lol:
marigold11

Post by marigold11 »

Hi,

Thanks - all posts are really useful. Some of the things we've talked through but you've given me some more ideas. Not sure that he's got any idea what he wants to be when he grows up (I'm grown up and still not sure!). He's really keen to go to the school and very hardworking (very bored and under stretched in his current primary school), keen to learn and a sweet polite boy so hopefully this will come across. Will also suggest he thinks of some questions to ask them.
nissi

Post by nissi »

It doesn't matter, he can always change his mind about what he wants to be later. He just needs to choose something he can enthuse about. I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up either!
kirsty&boys

Post by kirsty&boys »

Thanks, Nissi and Tipsy for sharing those tips. I am just so glad to come across this forum as thanks to all contributors, it provides such good support and generous tips from people who are total strangers yet willingly share more tips than certain so-called friends!!! :roll: I can certainly think of couple of names in my social circle who are secretive with what they are doing yet wanting to find out as much info from you as possible... but this forum is a sanctuary and I believe will guide me through the next few months and years... :lol: Thanks again! :D x
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

kirsty&boys wrote:Thanks, Nissi and Tipsy for sharing those tips. I am just so glad to come across this forum as thanks to all contributors, it provides such good support and generous tips from people who are total strangers yet willingly share more tips than certain so-called friends!!! :roll: I can certainly think of couple of names in my social circle who are secretive with what they are doing yet wanting to find out as much info from you as possible... but this forum is a sanctuary and I believe will guide me through the next few months and years... :lol: Thanks again! :D x
I second this. I actually have a 5page word document now where i copy and paste different tips which I find useful. There is patricia too who has great wisdom and yoyo123 and sally anne and etienne oh the list could go on and on. Its sounds hokey but I had actually had put nissi's tips in this post in my wisom box so i completely agree with you kirsty&boys
nissi

Post by nissi »

DS likes science and has always been interested in space, so we settled on an astrophysicist and he said at the interview that he wanted to work for NASA and develop telescopes and discover new worlds :P
A bit esoteric perhaps, but plays to his interests and not boring! He was also asked the difference between science and art ( expression of opinion as opposed to finding out and establishing facts- according to DS). I was asked at our separate interview what I thought he might be when he grows up and I said some sort of engineer, but mentioned I was aware he probably wanted to be an astrophysicist!

Kirsty
The way I see it is that I have been greatly helped by several people on the forum and just want to help anyone I can too- for what it's worth.
suncrest

Post by suncrest »

Besides the question suggestions already given here are a select few of the rather more unusual things my son was asked : What legacies did the ancient Greeks leave us? (my DS answered Toilets!!!and parliament) What do seeds need to germinate? What would be your ideal adventure? What makes a good teacher!? Was also asked some simple questions in French. Hope that helps. Really you cannot prepare for the interviews and I just had to remind DS to be at his most engaging and always have eye contact. We felt he did well at his interviews - remember this is their chance to impress so he shouldn't be nervous - just enjoy it. One interview lasted well over an hour as they got onto the subject of music.