Chesham High to become Chesham Grammar in Sept 10

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Dad40

Chesham High to become Chesham Grammar in Sept 10

Post by Dad40 »

You heard it here first !
Shelly8

Post by Shelly8 »

Is that just a name change, or is there anything else that changes?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

:shock: Well I never ... I am sure your source is impeccable Dad40.

It makes complete sense in one respect - the only other High Schools in Bucks are girls only.

I hope they appreciate how much a change of name will cost them though!
Dad40

Post by Dad40 »

"I am sure your source is impeccable Dad40."

I wouldn't go quite that far but.....yes, it seems true.

See if you can find confirmation from alternate sources.
Caryn

Post by Caryn »

My DS has just started at Chesham High in Year 7 and he came home yesterday saying that they were changing the name to Chesham Grammar too. Haven't received official notification from the school though.

Caryn
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

I spoke to someone earlier who said that all the kids were told about it yesterday. (I did briefly remove this thread from the Forum until I got some confirmation that it was public knowledge, so if anyone thought their eyes were deceiving them, please don't lambast your optometrist!)

She also mentioned that there is a Facebook group about the name change.

I took a look and it had acquired 424 members in less than 24 hours - in fact less than 8 hours as, when I looked at it, most of them must have joined yesterday evening. It seems to consist entirely of kids - no adults - and the verdict seems to be more 50/50 than "completely anti". The quality of critical thinking is of the usual variable standard for teenagers!

It does seem a sensible change, as I posted earlier, and I think the whole thing will be a storm in a teacup in the end.
Dad40

Post by Dad40 »

Sally-Anne wrote:It does seem a sensible change, as I posted earlier, and I think the whole thing will be a storm in a teacup in the end.
Well quite and I totally understand where Phillip Wayne is coming from. Despite the fact it will always be dear old Chesham High to me, it is a grammar school; the 'High' bit was always a bit ambiguous. As one wag once said to me after I told him I went to Chesham High: "Oh, is that a girls school?" Err....

They should have called it Chesham Grammar after it stopped being a tech school.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

I have another little snippet about this from a reliable source.

Apparently there has been a consultation with both staff and pupils about the change to the name of the school and the reaction was favourable. There will be more official news about the change of name shortly after half term.
Dad40

Post by Dad40 »

Sally-Anne wrote:IApparently there has been a consultation with both staff and pupils about the change to the name of the school and the reaction was favourable.
That's very heartening to hear. I imagined most people giving a knee-jerk negative reaction because of tradition, aversion to change etc.

How enlightening. How refreshing. How very Chesham High. :D
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Dad40 wrote:How enlightening. How refreshing. How very Chesham High. :D
:roll:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now