Is any further preparation required for SATs?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
nissi

Is any further preparation required for SATs?

Post by nissi »

Just wondering if there is a need for more home tutoring after the 11+ process for SATs? :? :roll: [/list]
Third time round

Post by Third time round »

I have two older children who both attend very good grammar schools, and in both cases I let them relax after the 11 plus exams, and they got through the sats with flying colours. I think it's good for them to have a few months off before the stress of starting secondary school.
splishy

Post by splishy »

I agree, part of my practice mantra was 'after the tests you can do as many after school clubs as you like' no more test papers for us!
PrettyWoman

Post by PrettyWoman »

I think the SATS should be seen as how effective a school is at teaching and if children are tutored to do well then the school are benefitting from higher scores with no input.

Everybody will have chosen their secondary school before they sit SATS so what difference does it make? If they've passed 11+ they'll be going to GS or alternatively to an indie hopefully of their choosing.

As far as I understand, as explained to me by year 6 teacher, if they are moving to a comp then the SATS results are used to put them in to sets. A tutored child could end up in a set above their natural ability and will struggle to keep up. Then they will end up being moved down, Much better they start low and get moved up a set at secondary school.

DS is now doing pure SAT preparation at school between now and the tests. Just maths and English. No other lessons as the school set themselves a high target and then just get the children to cram for a term. I would prefer 3 years of good consistent teaching rather than 3 months of cramming but that's why I'm desperate to get back to an indie!

And our primary is graded Outstanding by Ofsted, nothing outstanding about that style of teaching in my opinion. Rant over :oops:
I used to be plain, but when I married Mr Pretty I became PrettyWoman and now have 2 Pretty children!
Daogroupie

Big Sats Fan

Post by Daogroupie »

I am a big Sats fan and will be very sad if they go. Sats maths is a different style to eleven plus. Because they are allowed rulers and protractors there is a lot of measuring and angle calculation. I thought my dd would ace Sats papers after 3 months of eleven plus but not so. Mental Maths is silly easy, that really needs to go up a couple of notches, we had to move to KS3 ones as there was just no point in doing them. Sats English as well has differnt topcis such as newspaper articles, lettters of complaint and for and against arguments. I would recommend doing a couple of past papers just to see if DC has some areas that need work. Go to maths section and the sticky will point you to past sats papers.
mad?

Re: Big Sats Fan

Post by mad? »

Daogroupie wrote: I would recommend doing a couple of past papers just to see if DC has some areas that need work. Go to maths section and the sticky will point you to past sats papers.
Why? If DC has some areas that need work, then it is for the school to address them as it is the school's teaching which is being assessed, not the child. Let them have a break form revision and maybe actually learn something. :D
mad?
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

I agree. At this stage school is excruciatingly dull, give them a break for goodness sake. Try making life outside school as much fun and as interesting as possible - and it will probably do their SATs results more good than burning them out with unremitting toil.

Mike
nissi

Post by nissi »

Thank you all for your responses so far. I do feel a little sorry for my DC who has worked incredibly hard for the 11+. I really do not particularly want to make him do any more papers.

I suppose part of it is just self preservation :oops: . Totally fed up with the whole thing and feel DC needs a break.
PrettyWoman

Post by PrettyWoman »

mad? wrote:it is the school's teaching which is being assessed, not the child.
Absolutely - and in our case how effective they can cram for the tests, so in reality it means nothing!

I thought they had threatened to strike over SATS this year, but all seems to have gone quiet.

DS teacher keeps saying if they don't get on with it they'll all get level 3 and they'll only have themselves to blame. Mmmmm - I have to disagree with her and I don't like the pressure she is putting on the class but what can you do.

As a matter of interest do the school get extra funding based on SATS results?
I used to be plain, but when I married Mr Pretty I became PrettyWoman and now have 2 Pretty children!
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

PrettyWoman wrote:As a matter of interest do the school get extra funding based on SATS results?
Not sure but I doubt they do, it seems only struggling schools get more funding
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now