Burnham Grammar and Out of Catchment

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
babycakes

Burnham Grammar and Out of Catchment

Post by babycakes »

My DS got a respectable score for the Burnham grammar 11+.

However, what are the rules for out of catchment applications?

Do the school allocate places on the basis of proximity to the school first or are the highest scores offered a place irrespective of proximity?

I am very confused?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Looks like last year that they were "all offered" which means that if you passed and put it first on the CAF you got a place - reagardless of where you lived..... mmm doesn't really help you if it is oversubscribed this year does it?..... I'll have another hunt!
bucks mum1

Post by bucks mum1 »

They offer on proximity to all who achieved the qualifying mark in the 11+.

It has always been 'All Offered', (at least over the last 10 years) so you should safely be offered a place there.

Burnham Grammar has to compete with the Slough Grammar schools and Wycombe/Beaconsfield Grammar schools which are all close by so usually has quite a few spare places after initial allocations.
babycakes

Post by babycakes »

MY DS got a score of over 130 but we would rather get a place in Hershel or Langley as they offer a bus service.

Unfortunately, my DS did not do such a good job of getting a good score on the Berkshire 11+ so just wondering whether we need to find a cheap taxi service to ferry him to school.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

have hunt through this thread:

http://elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/11pl ... hp?t=13278

Looks to me as though there are 64 people who have put BGS first and have passed (for 150 places)... am I reading that right?
babycakes

Post by babycakes »

It does indeed look like BGS has been undersubscribed and so my DS is likely to get a place.

With such a low number of Bucks applications to BGS, I sincerely hope that there are other parents in my area that we can organise a car-share with.
worried

Apeal

Post by worried »

Hi Sally,

We moved to catchment recently. My son has missed pass mark on late test of 11+. BGS is catchment area grammar school. Due to undersubscription of the schoo, is there any chances of appealing?
or wait for 12+. Please advise?

Cheers,
worried
guest666

Post by guest666 »

The 64 referred to is in county, not OOC and in county. Since OOC is normally around half the intake, the number of places free may be much lower than has traditionally been the case at the same stage in the allocation process.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Sorry for the late reply - I have been away.

Although I should never say "never", based on everything I have seen in the last few years I cannot envisage anyone who has applied for Burnham not gaining a place.

HTH
Sally-Anne
Jazz

Re: Apeal

Post by Jazz »

worried wrote:Hi Sally,

We moved to catchment recently. My son has missed pass mark on late test of 11+. BGS is catchment area grammar school. Due to undersubscription of the schoo, is there any chances of appealing?
or wait for 12+. Please advise?

Cheers,
worried
If he didn't pass the test, you have to appeal on the grounds of suitablilty for grammar school; school choice isn't relevant at this stage.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now