cem assessment

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now

cem assessment

Post by Guest »

Hello all,

I am new to this forum and am preparing my child for the KE exams. Thanks to KenR, I have been reading through the CEM website :wink: . From what is mentioned on the GETINTU Framework of assessment, it seems that only the really 'bright' kids will be able to get through the entrance test rather than those through taught achievement. Did any1 else get this impression? If that is the case, (is it worth) or how is it possible to prepare your child with this kind of assessment? :?

Should I be using NFER or Bond papers or shall I just teach my child for the fun of it? I have to say, that I had a look at some of the questions under the INCAS type of assessment - and they can really throw a child. :shock: If the GETINTU entrance tests, are similiar to the INCAS format, then I can understand how only the really bright ones get through- especially with the TIME pressure. But on second thoughts, is it not possible to train a child to pass this type of exam? Any thoughts?
jah

Post by jah »

I think that the main thing is to get your child used to following verbal instructions (instructions are on CD), and doing things within a time limit.

We did the usual Nfer and Bond papers. But other types of timed tests such as times-tables, crosswords and so on all help and add variety. I also encourage reading a lot, and I look through and check that they understand the meaning of words, and make sure that they can answer questions about the piece. Sometimes I just grabbed a dictionary and went through all the words on a page to see which they knew. I also started them on Year 6 Numeracy and Literacy workbooks early.

After March, I'm back to square 1 and starting all over again with Year 4 son. I'm expecting him to be quite strong on the NVR, Maths side of things, and his reading and comprehension is quite good. But I am going to have to work on his spellings otherwise he won't manage VR. So I will probably do dictionary work with him, and also we'll have a go at anagrams and wordsearches. Fun things.

I think the main thing is to mix and match the Nfer papers with other items, and make sure that the child realises that the format could be different from anything he's met. Hence the importance of listening to the instructions. Everyone is in the same boat if they change the format, so the important thing is not to panic. It's not the absolute mark that's important, but where the child comes in the list.

Post by Guest »

Wow, jah, that is some really good advice. My child is in y4 and this is the first time we r going thro the whole process.

Many thanks.
:)
jah

Post by jah »

I'm about to start it for the 3rd time round! Just waiting to see if year 6 daughter has a grammar school place before I start again.

Also trying to make sure year 10 daughter does her GCSE coursework. Fortunately the GCSEs will be out of the way summer 2008 before we have the count down to year 4 son's 11+. It is probably wishful thinking that A'levels will be any less stressful. :?

Post by Guest »

Hmm, A'Ls stressful? Probably... as exam time draws near but otherwise A'Ls on the whole (in my experience) was fairly relaxed and a lot of fun!

As for now, its back to basics to getin2 KES!!

Not long til March, Jah and hopefully some good news :?:

frm
Enthusiast
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

Hello Jah

A Levels are less stressful in some ways in that if they're not working independently by that time, there's not much you can do about it. Although you can lay down some guidelines re going out and limiting hours of paid work, if they muck up it's ultimately down to them at that age.

So better to concentrate on what you can influence more easily!

Geoffrey
jah

Post by jah »

At least the subjects she'll do at A'Level are the ones she's best at. Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Music should be a doddle!
jah

Post by jah »

At least the subjects she'll do at A'Level are the ones she's best at. Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Music should be a doddle!