Moderation:Food for thought!

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Sassie'sDad

Moderation:Food for thought!

Post by Sassie'sDad »

Don't ever visit MN by choice so don't know if the forum even has moderators but anyone reading the press over recent months is glad that we have ours!

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol ... 026100.ece

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/f ... nline.html
Amber

Post by Amber »

I have recently joined a chicken keepers' forum to try and sort out my sick hen. I don't think there are any moderators on it, but it hasn't degenerated into spite or nasty remarks. No real pecking order either, nor sticky-beaking. Maybe because we chicken keepers are such an inherently lovely lot?

It is very rambling though, and there are no thread headings so information is very bitty and hard to find. I don't have any other experience of forums (fora?) but this one (11+) does seem exceptionally well run, if a little tiny bit over-censorious at times (I tried to type a 3-letter word and it was replaced with 'gender'. I was neither advertising it nor searching for it ...nonetheless it was scratched. I ended up with the phrase 'gender and drugs and rock and roll', which is quite amusing in itself, I think).
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

:lol: I think that happens automatically (the word replacement)
I'll try: sex

EDIT: Yep!! :lol:
Amber

Post by Amber »

Exciting, isn't it? Which word shall we try next?!
doodles

Post by doodles »

Feel very safe on here - recently joined Facebook to keep in touch with family who seem to move all the time and I don't like it at all. I know it is a different beast but it actually makes me very wary.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I was neither advertising it nor searching for it ..

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Occasionally, when in affectionate mood, some of our posters put three Xs after their name. The system assumes they're up to no good and replaces them with asterisks ........

You can get away with X rated but not triple X! :roll:
Etienne
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Amber wrote:I have recently joined a chicken keepers' forum to try and sort out my sick hen. I don't think there are any moderators on it, but it hasn't degenerated into spite or nasty remarks. No real pecking order either, nor sticky-beaking. Maybe because we chicken keepers are such an inherently lovely lot?"
Make the most of it while it lasts. I'm a member of a forum that has got along for years on simple courtesy and common sense but for about the last year has been dominated by a retired individual with too much time on their hands who has swamped all discussion with sheer volume of posts. Tempers have been fraying recently and this month the forum owners had to appoint a mod to rein in the pest and restore good behaviour.

This forum runs very nicely indeed - it's far too easy to spend too much time here...

Mike
doodles

Post by doodles »

Oh yes Mike, the time I spend on here! I am now au fait with the system in Dorset, Glouc and especially Bucks!!!!!! But I live in Kent......
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

I remember seeing a post on MN simply discussing moderated to remove name, she must be a popular woman :shock:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now