What happens if sibling leaves before sibling starts Y7

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Daogroupie

What happens if sibling leaves before sibling starts Y7

Post by Daogroupie »

In 12 days time 100 odd children will be offered a place at DAO because they have a sister or a brother already at the school. But what happens if this sibling is in Year 11 and either decides to do sixth form at another school or does not get the grades to get into DAO sixth form. Is the place of the no longer sibling withdrawn? Surely it should be, to keep it in line with the children who get it on where they live. For the admissions rules clearly state that if the location child is no longer living in the house from which they got in by the time they start the school in September the place will be withdrawn. So if location still has to be the same surely a sibling in the school does as well?
Quaver

Post by Quaver »

We haven't applied to Owens, however did look at it a number of times. I hope the following will help you, from their FAQ:

What is the situation if my eldest child is a current pupil but will have left the school by the time my younger child would be due to start?

It is no longer possible for applicants to apply under the sibling criteria if the eldest child will no longer be enrolled at the school at the date of the applicant’s admission, i.e. is currently in Year 13, or the older sibling has already indicated that he/she will not be attending the school at the date of admission of the younger sibling. This is a directive within the DCSF School Admissions Code which became law for entries from September 2008 and AFFECTS ALL SCHOOLS EQUALLY.

Wishing you all the best for March.
Daogroupie

Places already allocated

Post by Daogroupie »

Thank you Quaver, but these children would have already applied and been allocated places because at the time of application they did have a sibling who was going to be at the school so they have got an offer based on that and if they accept it then they have a place. So then what happens if their sibling leaves BEFORE they start and take up their place?

I am surprised to hear you did not apply for DAO Quaver. Your music grades were very good and you did say in an earlier post that you were interested in music places. Did something put you off? Pm if not keen to discuss publically.
WP

Post by WP »

The relevant part of the DAO criteria is:
3. Applicants who have a sibling at the school at the time of application, unless the sibling is in the last year of the normal age-range of the school. Note: the ‘normal age range’ is Years 7 – 13, this being the designated range for which the school provides.
That would mean that an applicant with a sibling in year 11 at the time of application would be eligible under this criterion, regardless of what that sibling did later. This wording mirrors the county's sibling criterion, which was imposed in August 2007 by an adjudication decision, which ruled that the previous wording,
Children who have a sibling at the school at the time of admission. Note: this would be based on a ‘reasonable expectation’ that the elder sibling will be at the school.
was not clear, objective and fair.
Quaver

Post by Quaver »

That's interesting WP, and not what I would have assumed.

Daogroupie: Re. applying to Owens, we liked the school and put much, very careful, thought into whether DC should apply for a music place (obviously appreciating that no guarantee that DC would have been successful anyway). However, it was a joint decision with DC not to proceed and made purely from our personal circumstances, rather than feelings towards the school.

Best wishes.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now