Do they examine DC in music at state schools?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Optimist

Do they examine DC in music at state schools?

Post by Optimist »

Hi

My DS1 (in Primary school) is learning to play the cello, and he is being tutored privately. I would in the future like to see him tested through the music grades. I would like to know if I can ask the music teacher at school whether they can preprare him for the music grade exams (obviously starting at the beginning level). Does anyone know if state schools do this?

Regards
Optimist (always the.....) :lol:
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

My finding has always been that the peripatetic teacher will do all of the preparation for the exams and that the child must ensure that they do enough practise between lessons.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Oh yes PRACTICE!!!!!

LEAs often have very good a very good music service with peripatetic teachers and the opportunity to play in ensembles and join in at music centres.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

His peripatetic teacher will arrange everything. :)
Amber

Post by Amber »

Categorically, yes they do. Interestingly, you pay a lot less for lessons in state schools too. We moved ours from private to state school, got the same teacher for a third of the price! Instrument hire also cheaper. My DS about to take grade 3 on a brass instrument through a state school. Like others, he believes he will be able to do this without practice - I hope he will not have forgotten which end to blow when it comes to the exam.
Alice Wonder

Post by Alice Wonder »

You will probably need to check with the schools you are interested in whether they have a peri that teaches cello and whether they put pupils in for grades.

If you do not have a cello currently you will need to check whether they have a school cello available for your child to loan.

Probably a good idea to talk to the Head of Department or person in charge of Instrumental Studies at the schools concerned. They will be able to give you an idea of what additional musical opportunities your child may receive.

Do they have a good instrumental programme? How many children learning instruments/taking grade exams each term?
Do they have a choir?
Do the pupils have opportunities to perform in concerts?
Do they have an orchestra/string orchestra?
Is the music programme supported by senior management in the school?
Cheshire Cat
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

in Kent you can hire instruments at very reasonable rates through the Kent music Service, may be worth checking what is available through your LEA. The school will be able to tell you what is available.
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Amber wrote:I hope he will not have forgotten which end to blow when it comes to the exam.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Marylou
Daogroupie

Music Grades at State School

Post by Daogroupie »

Yes in theory the music teacher arranges everything. In practice you may well find that admin is not his/her strong point. After repeatedly requesting for our brass teacher to put dd's in for grades I took over and just sent in the form for him to sign and put them in to sit the grades at our local music school and have been doing so every since. We were at an exam once and a child turned up without their music and a piano accompanist. Fortunately we were doing the same grade so we lent them both! The mum claimed she had no idea dc was supposed to play with the piano. Nobody had told her anything. We have lots of children who started at the same time at my dd's who have not done any grades because the parents don't know to ask. I often think music lessons at state school are one of the last remainders of the class system! It is very noticeable which parents are on the ball on this and those who let the whole thing pass them by. My dd's both do instruments at school and I have got the whole thing running quite smoothly now. But to start with I had no clue and nobody gave me any advice at all. If you are lucky you will get a really proactive teacher, if not it is for you to drive. We choose all our own pieces and arrange all the admin side. But in 5 months time I will have to start all over again when elder dd goes to whichever secondary school she actually get a place at. I am sure I will get it right quicker this time round though!
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

It obviously depends on the area / teacher then as my dc's music teachers have always been very proactive - advising when they are ready to take the exams, helping them chose the pieces, and arranging everything including the pianist (and rehearsals with him beforehand). All I do is sign the cheques!!!

However Optimist I am not sure that the school will be involved if your DS is having his cello lessions outside of school (is this what you meant?). If he has lessons privately then the exams should be arranged through his private tutor.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now