Cookery Courses for Children

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
doodles

Cookery Courses for Children

Post by doodles »

Does anybody know of cookery courses for children. DS1 is very interested in all things food ( a bit like his mother) and, being married to a DH who can just about boil water but not an egg, I don't want to discourage this. Think he would find a course a lot of fun - more interesting than helping me anyway.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
SSM

Post by SSM »

Don't know about courses, but I can thoroughly recommend the Sam Stern cookery books.

As he is a teenager and the books are aimed at teenagers.
bromley mum

Post by bromley mum »

Look up Buttermilk Barn on the Web. They have courses for all ages. You can even have birthday parties there which Dc had really enjoyed. If you are near Bromley then I can recommend them.
andyb

Post by andyb »

There is an afterschool cookery club at DS2's school run by Little Cooks - no idea if they are any good but the children seem to enjoy it.
Just1-2go

Post by Just1-2go »

Doodles have sent you a pm about a cookery club, I don't think I can put it on the general thread as I think that would be termed as advertising. Hope it helps.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Thanks for all your ideas - I have sent off for the brochures for the three suggested as they do 1 day Easter Holiday courses which sound quite good fun.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
Amber

Post by Amber »

SSM wrote:Don't know about courses, but I can thoroughly recommend the Sam Stern cookery books.

As he is a teenager and the books are aimed at teenagers.
I would second that. The food is yummy too - many of our family favourites come from his books.
moved

Post by moved »

DD makes these http://www.samstern.co.uk/recipes16.html
They work really well with gluten free flour, so go down well in our house. :D
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

Ooh what a lovely idea and I am certainly going to check out those books and look into course's for my DD I think.

Midget Man is doing a Uni Day at a secondary school for Science/Maths/Ict and he is soo jealous of the children that are doing food for their course because of the lovely food they alway's walk out with and he now wishes he was doing that instead :lol:
moved

Post by moved »

I have used these recipes in the past. It took me a while to find the link
http://publications.dcsf.gov.uk/default ... 01137-2009&