Recommend me a good book

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
moved

Books for us to read

Post by moved »

Hi, I've just got Waterland, Graham Swift, out of the library and I'm really enjoying it. I wondered if we could have an adult reading section/thread.

We could put up books that we've enjoyed in the past or the present so that others can give them a try.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

The memory Keepers Daughter, the Lovely Bones and we need to talk about Kevin
moved

Post by moved »

Ooh I read Lovely Bones last year.

After You'd Gone by Maggie O'Farrell is an all time favourite. I read it until 4am just to get find out what happened.

Will look for the other two.
inkypinkyponky

Post by inkypinkyponky »

That's a good idea because I love reading and when I use our little local library, I just choose a book coz it's got a nice colourful cover!

Often the book is absolute dross, but I have come across a few good 'uns too.........but can't remember their names!

Yoyo - did you really like The Lovely Bones? I thought it was one of the most distressing books I've ever read, so I won't be going to see the film by Peter Jackson when it comes out.

For sheer cryability I enjoyed P.S.I Love You - so much better the the film, where so many things were changed - grrrrr!

OH has converted me to Bill Bryson, especially the travel books, and the one called 'Notes From a Small Island', about his travels around Britain, has been voted the book which best expresses British humour and character. Bits of it are knicker-wettingly-funny, coz I laughed so much! :oops:
doodles

Post by doodles »

Brilliant idea - love reading too. But did :lol: 'cos I used to belong to a book club but left because there was no book discussion just a lot of competition about whose child was doing what at school! Now I join an education forum and ......... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Really didn't like Waterland but did like We Must Talk About Kevin. Currently reading Jeremy Clarkson that DH got for Christmas and it was lurking by the bed when I couldn't be bothered to get out the other night! May not agree with all of the content but the style is actually quite readable! Just about to embark on Cranford again.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
moved

Post by moved »

Perhaps we could start a virtual book club of our own. Let's face it, we've got the space to chat about our children/education so we won't need to corrupt the book thread!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

The lovely bones was wonderful, but painful to read.

I also like Ship of brides by jojo moyes.

Mr yoyo can;t understand my fascination for "rubbish" but sometimes a mindless thriller is just what you need!

I'm quite fond of Minettte Walters and for those who speak "norn iron" Colin Bateman
Nathair

Post by Nathair »

Anything by Terry Prattchet!!! :D
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10100;430/st/20100902/e/DD+Starts+Senior+School/dt/5/k/bbdb/event.png[/img]
doodles

Post by doodles »

Yoyo it's not rubbish it's "light" reading. :lol: You couldn't read Madame Bovary and then Dickens could you, you need a little light relief in between....... well that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

Quite enjoy an Agatha Raisin detective saga (MC Beaton) for a little light relief - she wrote Hamish McBeth TV series so it doesn't stretch the old grey matter too far! :shock:
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I also loved "The Italian Boy" by Sarah Wise..all about Body snatchers and resurrectionists in early 1880's London. It's non-fiction but so well written that you get drawn in