Allocation Day arrangements

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Sally-Anne

Allocation Day arrangements

Post by Sally-Anne »

An important piece of information on the arrangements for Allocation Day, March 1st.
Offer letters will be sent to parents, via first class post, on the Monday evening. Where parents applied on-line, they will receive an e-mail notifying them of the allocated school on 1 March. Emails will be sent from 3.30pm on 1 March.
It is still entirely possible that allocations will be viewable online (for those who applied online) from 00.01am on 1st March, but I wouldn't count on it.

The whole process has been a complete nightmare because of the snow in January. Apparently there were 956 Selection Appeals compared to 849 last year, not to mention a significant rise in the number of 12+ Test Appeals as well. The last Selection Appeals are being heard on 26th February - the last possible working day before allocations are made. It is "just in time management" expanded to nightmare proportions!

This has all been incredibly tough on the Bucks Appeals and Admissions departments, on the panel members who turned out at weekends to help catch up and on the parents whose appeals were postponed. From all the reports I have received to date the problems have been handled with considerable efficiency, and the inconvenience to parents has been minimised wherever possible.

Everyone involved in the process has certainly earned a "virtual bouquet" for their contribution. Given the date of Allocation Day, this seems to be an appropriate offering ... :D

Sally-Anne
bromley mum

Post by bromley mum »

Bromley council has different dates. Their e mails (if requested while applying) will be sent out on 2 March which is when you can view online too. So, we will a day behind the rest of the country!!
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Sally-Anne - just out of interest, do you know if the significant increase in 12+ appeals related to non-qualification or refusal to test? If the latter, then could it be because they specified Level 5s in Maths and English only (even though the cohort concerned actually did Science as well)?
Marylou
Hope

Post by Hope »

Thank you for that info Sally-Anne.

I would also like to say thank you to all those involved in appeals, the panels, the LEA rep, the clerks and the admin team, it is a difficult job at the best of times but this year I am sure it has been an absolute nightmare for all concerned and as you say I think it has been handled very well.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Marylou wrote:Sally-Anne - just out of interest, do you know if the significant increase in 12+ appeals related to non-qualification or refusal to test? If the latter, then could it be because they specified Level 5s in Maths and English only (even though the cohort concerned actually did Science as well)?
They were all "Refusal to Test" Appeals - non-qualification has yet to come around. The specification of English & Maths seems to have been the reason for the increase in the number of appeals, as I have posted elsewhere.
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Thanks for confirming that Sally-Anne - I knew I'd seen something about it somewhere and thought it was probably the case, as the success rate for 12+ seems to be quite high.
Marylou
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

Hope wrote:Thank you for that info Sally-Anne ...I would also like to say thank you to all those involved in appeals, the panels, the LEA rep, the clerks and the admin team, it is a difficult job at the best of times but this year I am sure it has been an absolute nightmare for all concerned and as you say I think it has been handled very well.
'Hope' ... my sentiments exactly x x x

Also thanks for everyone on the elevenplus forum for their wonderful help, advice and support given to all who need it x x x
Heartmum x x x
stats_person

wow - great effort by bucks

Post by stats_person »

Hi Sally-Anne,
wow, what a great effort by the folks managing to hear all those selection appeals...956....thats a lot....well done

Do we have an early indication of how many were successful?

Thanks,
stats
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

No clue at all because they haven't finished yet, but the figure of around 40% has been pretty well unchanged for some years.

I am intrigued as to why the total figure shot up by 100 this year. I doubt that anyone knows the answer to that yet, not even appeals. We may eventually find a clue or two in the number of appeals by score when those numbers are published.
Dad40

Post by Dad40 »

Sally-Anne,

Do you reckon there is any prospect of this year's experience causing them to push next year's 12+ dates back to where they used to be?

Cheers
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now