Parmiters streamlining exams

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Coolio

Parmiters streamlining exams

Post by Coolio »

Hi I am new, just register myself onto the forum so forgive me if I mess up - not very techy myself!

Could anyone tell me if my child gets into Parmiters, when they have to sit the streamline test, to get them into their appropriate sets?

Also which papers do they sit?

Thank you in advance!
watfordmum66

Post by watfordmum66 »

Hi,
Welcome to the Forum. I am unable to answer your question but Im sure some Parmiter Parents will be along soon.
Daogroupie

SW Herts Consortium

Post by Daogroupie »

They are part of the SW Herts Consortium, see sticky at top of threads. my dd sat the exam in November. It is Maths and VR and you can also sit a music test which my dd also sat. The music test was her very first eleven plus exam but by the time she sat the academic exam three weeks later she had sat two other Vr exams and one other Maths and she did find the Herts papers easier than others. If you are in Herts you can put three Watford schools down and just sit the one exam. If you are in London you can put six Watford Schools down and just sit the one exam.
WP

Post by WP »

The OP was referring to an extra test administered by Parmiter's in the summer to all those offered places, to divide them into streams. I don't know any more about it than that; tense would know.
tense

Post by tense »

Hello Coolio & welcome to the forum,

The children are invited back in April to sit VR & NVR tests. They are short, painless & no preparation is necessary - really. I didn't know what NVR was but there's info on this forum.

Anyway, children are only put into one of two bands in Year 7 - so if your child has got into Parmiter's on academic, they will end up in the upper band! I think this is made up of four classes, with the mixed band having two.

Children are taught in form all year - no other streaming for maths etc until year 8.

So please don't stress your child out about them. I hope you are lucky enough to get a place at Parmiter's next week!

T
Coolio

Post by Coolio »

Hello and thank you for the welcome.

Thank you also for the quick replies, I didn't realise how easy this forum was, I should have joined ages ago!

Tense, you have answered a question that I have been wondering about for months now, thank you so much for that. I am not going to worry about it anymore.

Thanks for the good luck also - We are getting a little anxious now, but hey nothing we can do but just wait now - the children have done all the hard work and I think this experience has matured them in many ways!

Take care and good luck to all that are waiting for the results also!
watmum

Post by watmum »

tense wrote:if your child has got into Parmiter's on academic, they will end up in the upper band!
Hi there, would just like to mention,that although this does sound logical, it is not always the case I know of two children, both offered places on the academic criterion, but both of these were placed in one of the two mixed band forms following their streaming test.

Mind you, I would also mention, having had four children attend the school, and a spread across upper and mixed bands, I have not noticed any difference at all in their teaching/educational experiences and all have done equally well.
Coolio

Post by Coolio »

I imagine that even if they do get selected onto the mixed band they can move up if they do well!

Four kids hey watmum, wow, I think you should be an expert with Parmiters! and expert with life in general!

Could I please also ask if anyone knows of any private tutors in the Watford and St Albans area that will come to the house. I have a younger child I would like to prepare him, I know he can get in on a Sibling policy if my older one gets in, but, first of all she isn't in yet, also school policies are changing every year and finally, it will just be good to prepare him slowly anyway. If you could e-mail me personally, I would really appreciate it as you are not allowed to post this info on this forum.
watmum

Post by watmum »

Coolio wrote:I imagine that even if they do get selected onto the mixed band they can move up if they do well!

Well you would like to think so, but I have only ever kown one child get moved up, (but that is not to say that it never happens!)

Four kids hey watmum, wow, I think you should be an expert with Parmiters! and expert with life in general!

Lol Coolio, no, I am just knackered!
Coolio

Post by Coolio »

Watmum - LOL - You say 'Knackered!' But you still make time for people like me to help us out - you are amazing! Thank you!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now