Nfer papers? How close to real thing?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
trumpet

Nfer papers? How close to real thing?

Post by trumpet »

I found this on a website dedicated to the Bucks 11 plus and wondered if anyone had any thoughts about how closely the Nfer papers available in shops were to the Bexley 11 plus. As far as I can gather most people on this site think the Nfer papers are the closest you can get but this made me question that. Any thoughts\experiences anyone?

Buckinghamshire uses NFER to provide the tests used in the "real" test. However, the NFER practice packs that are on sale in bookshops DO NOT COVER ALL THE TYPES OF QUESTION USED IN THE BUCKINGHAMSHIRE TEST, despite claiming that their practice tests "mirror" the real thing .... THEY DON'T. 6 out of the 21 types of question do not appear in these papers. That is 29% not covered. This is based on the question types used by NFER in the Familiarization Pack which every entrant receives or uses in school.

You should also be aware that Buckinghamshire only uses Verbal Reasoning papers. ( You do not need to buy non-verbal reasoning, Maths or English 11+ materials.)

One publisher that covers ALL the question types in EXACTLY THE SAME WAY as they may occur in the "real" Buckinghamshire test is IPS Educational Publishing.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

from what i gather Bexley only has maths and verbal reasoning papers which are multiple choice. NOt sure what is in the VR test though.
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

vr - close to nfer, multi choice.

maths - this year, according to dd2, nothing like nfer.
It seems that certain topics are not appearing yet there are more problem solving questions. The layout is also different. Still multi choice.
trumpet

Post by trumpet »

So I guess it really does help to try out lots of different types of papers so that even if a child is learning to do question types that will not appear in the actual test at least they will not be fazed by a different looking paper.
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Make sure you are hot on those wordy, 2 stage problem solving types.
And READ the question properly. This is where the majority of kids fall down - mine included. :roll:
trumpet

Post by trumpet »

Tracy

Do you mean the,

Ship is water as plane is to sky type ones? :shock:
greenwichmum

Post by greenwichmum »

I think that Tracy was referring to the Maths paper. My daughter also said that there were a lot of the wordy, problem type questions.

Such as; where they are told some information and then have to work out the answer to a question based on the information given. It requires the child to be good at both comprehension and to be able to work out maths problems which have several stages. It is easy for the child to get confused about what is being asked and alsothey need to be able to concentrate on what stage of the problem they are on.

My Daughter is good at Maths (the number bits) but gets easily fazed by these questions, they also take a lot longer to work out than simpler types. She did make the selective mark but her Maths mark was much lower than her VR even though normally this is her strong point. Children taking the Bexley tests definielty need to be ablel to do these longer "problem" type questions- In my opinion!
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

yes, I was referring to the maths paper.