12+ appeal/Etienne

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mum72

12+ appeal/Etienne

Post by mum72 »

Hi
We've just discovered that our son has been turned down for testing at 12+ even though he seemed to fit criteria.
We will appeal but would value any info from anyone who has been through this process.
Is it like an 11+ appeal?
What would we need to present?
I understand that the appeals for this are generally sucessful but what can we do to help?
Thanks

Post by Guest »

Very sorry about that mum72. Its a route we were hoping to pursue next year.

I appreciate you want words of wisdom from Etienne which I am sure she will provide but, did you miss the 11+ by much and did you appeal? Did you get good SATS from primary school? And is your son keeping up with the pack in his current secondary school?

Look forward to Etienne's reply and wish you much luck with your appeal, do keep in touch for all those hoping to follow your trail.

Post by Guest »

Hi

I don't know whether this is helpful but a friend's son was turned down for a chance to take 12+ because the report his upper school filled in was not very supportive. Your child needs to be doing very well in year 7, infact needs to be ahead of the pack...not just keeping up with it.

On appeal my friend's son was allowed to take the 12+ and went on to pass. However he then got put on a waiting list for a Grammar and didn't get a place before the year was out, by which time his 12+ meant nothing and he was told he would need to take another test!

My daughter took 12+ and passed and got offered her first choice Grammar school so it really does seem to vary alot depending on places available and backing from current school.

Lots of good luck!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear mum72

Are you happy to talk to your current school about this? I think you need to ask them what evidence they sent BCC (I assume it's Buckinghamshire?), and whether they supported your application. (Sometimes BCC will overrule a headteacher's support, if they think that the evidence does not back it up - but this could possibly weaken the authority's case at an appeal.)

You could then go on to ask the school for a copy of their report (pointing out that you will get to see it anyway if you go to appeal, but it would help you to prepare your case now).

An appeal "to test" is usually simpler than an 11+ appeal.

Evidence that you present might include some of the following:
*Above average KS1 results (although they are starting to look rather ancient :D)
*A reasonable 11+ result
*Two level 5s at KS2
*Good predictions for KS3 (although it may be too early for these to be available)
*Any recent good school reports (especially if there is reference to high achievement)
*Results of any standardised tests (the higher, the better)
*Support from the current school

Do ask if you have any further questions.

Regards
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now