12+ admissions to AGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

quinn5

12+ admissions to AGS

Post by quinn5 »

Do you know how many 12+ places were allocated to boys in Year 8 at Aylesbury grammar over the past few years and if any OOC boys got places?

Also, as AGS is now a foundation school, will that change the 12+ procedure for Year 8 in 2011? Thanks so much
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Hopefully someone will have answers to your questions, but I can at least tell you that in the last few years, Y7 at AGS has been full - or nearly full - in the January census, so at those dates, there were only a couple of places available, if any.

Doesn't mean some Y7 boys didn't move on by the end of the year, so I really don't know about Y8, but I would guess there are rarely places available at 12+.

Hope someone tells you I'm wrong!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Jazz is correct in saying that there are relatively few places at AGS for Late Transfer. Any places that do become available are normally created by boys moving out of the area.

There are 5 Foundation grammars in Bucks, and only Challoners Boys and Royal Grammar administer their own Late Transfer procedure. Beaconsfield High used to do so, but handed back the responsibility for late testing to Bucks CC a couple of years ago.

The Proposed Arrangements for School Admissions for 2011 have been published for consultation, and there are no changes to the Admissions Policy for AGS. You can check that here:

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/bcc/schools/a ... _2011.page?

Sir Henry Floyd usually has places in Year 8, and that would probably extend to OoC pupils.

Sally-Anne
worried

which has preference

Post by worried »

Hi.,

Query regarding preference during allocation of year 8?
1. OOC boy/girl qualified but near to school.
2. shcool catchment area boy/girl qualified but lives far away from school.
3. Bucks boy/girl qualified applied for another catchment area school.

cheers,
worried.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

The rules are exactly the same as for Year 7 allocations.
Rule 1
Children in care.
Rule 2
Children living in the catchment area of the school.
Rule 3
For Year 7 admission in September 2010 - Siblings of children in Years 7 to 10 who are on the roll of
the school at the time the allocations are made.
Rule 4
Children who have exceptional medical or social needs supported by written evidence from a doctor, social worker, educational welfare officer or other appropriate person.
Rule 5
Once the above rules have been applied, then any further places will be offered in distance order
Catchment children get priority over OoC, so in your list (2) gets priority over (1). A non-catchment Bucks child would be treated the same as an OoC child and the allocation made accordingly under the distance rule.

I am assuming that in item (3) you are referring to the situation where someone has listed a very popular GS - eg. AGS or AHS first, more in hope than expectation, but put another school as second preference, e.g. SHF? The same rules apply: provided the child lives close enough to the school the allocation would be SHF.

In my 12+ Sticky I mention this point. The first preference school can be the one of your dreams, even if there is almost no hope of getting in, but the second preference should always be your catchment school and also one that you can be reasonably hopeful of getting a place at.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Sally-Anne wrote:Jazz is correct
I'm getting good at this! :lol:
quinn5

Post by quinn5 »

thank u
quinn5

Post by quinn5 »

Bucks county replied with following number of 12+ places:
2 for September 2007
5 for September 2008