It's that time of year again...

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Marylou

It's that time of year again...

Post by Marylou »

...World Book Day next week!!! (As well as National Allocations Day of course. :) )

Theme - fairy tales. Easy for girls, with no end of princess and fairy dressing-up paraphernalia, but boys? I'm just imagining the look of horror on DS's face at the prospect. Any ideas and suggestions very welcome, preferably involving the minimum of time and money... :wink:

Thanks all! :)

P.S. Best of luck to everyone awaiting good news on Monday! :)
Marylou
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

What about Tolkein's Lord of the Rings? I can see big feet and ears being made out of papier mache :lol: :lol: :lol:
doodles

Post by doodles »

Depending on age: Captain Hook, Robin Hood, Knight etc etc.

Our best was member of The Secret Seven - normal clothes with a "7" badge and a notebook with "Clues" on the front!
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

My DD dislikes dressing up (it's silly apparently :? ) ... and has said she wants to go as something that does not require looking as if she is dressed up!!!

"Go as a school child then, from a school story ..." I said - to which the response was "Now you're being silly!!!"

You just can't win :roll:
Heartmum x x x
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

I use the Harry's!

Small boys- ordinary clothes, plastic bucket and some toy dinos - "harry and his bucket full of dinosaurs"

Older boy- school uniform, black cloak and plastic wand - Harry Potter

:)
Milla

Post by Milla »

we've got it as well, groan. I hoped he'd want something from Chris Ryan (basically go in the sort of stuff you'd go up a tree in) but he looked at me with great scorn because Chris Ryan based on some sort of fact so not fictitious enough. What's more annoying is that he's got some sort of sports tournament involving being picked up at 11.15 so it will be all that effort for 2 hours of wearing. :?
[img]http://sl.glitter-graphics.net/pub/47/47055t4vjrz296r.gif[/img]
andyb

Post by andyb »

When DS2 had "fairy tales" he went as Little Boy Blue - as did about 100 other boys! Jeans and blue jumper - easy peasy :) One of the more outgoing boys wore his sisters ballet kit!
tonbridgemum

Post by tonbridgemum »

My 8 year old went as Burglar Bill last year. Really easy, stripy t-shirt, black trousers, rucksuck or we had a large hessian bag that we wrote 'Loot' on. Made a cardboard eye mask with elastic. Flat cap, sorted!
He has always loved the book which helped but im not sure all the children had read/heard of it.
Milla

Post by Milla »

"I'll have that!"
[img]http://sl.glitter-graphics.net/pub/47/47055t4vjrz296r.gif[/img]
MrsChubbs

Post by MrsChubbs »

For a non girly girl - how about an old white tshirt saying "Tracy" and get them to carry a baby's sipping cup (with a sticker on saying beaker).
Tracy Beaker