Extra Support at Grammar?

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now

Extra Support at Grammar?

Post by Guest »

Just wondered if anyone has come accross this before? My son started at Grammar school in September in Bucks and achieved 3 Level 5's in the KS2 exams. He has recently come home with a note saying hes been identified as someone who would benefit from extra support in English. This surprised him and has certainly surprised me - i didnt expect him to be top of the class but he can certainly hold his own. Im now wondereding if he might not be coping although he seems fine.There was no note from the school to me as a parent and i just wondered if anyone has come acroos this before and what it means? Is Etienne around or Guest55 ? Thank you in advance
Guest40
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yes, I have heard of this before. He may have a specific difficulty with an aspect of the curriculum - why don't you make an appointment and go in to talk it through? It's probably something that can be addressed before it's a problem -

I have run Maths help sessions in a Grammar - Bucks 11+ doesn't contain much 'real Maths' and some struggle to get a GCSE grade C.

Keep in touch
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

DS's grammar school (N Yorks) has a literacy support teacher. Not sure how many she sees - DS says it is those who seem suprised to be at grammar school - think he is joking and I'm sure not always the case :?

TBH Think if it was around in my day I would have been one of those singled out - I looked at my primary school reports the other day - 97% in maths 41% in english :oops: still ended up with plenty of degrees !!!!
chad

Post by chad »

My son also achieved 5's in Sats but I know that English can be a real struggle for him. He is coping extremely well in Grammar school but I am waiting for a note (similar to yours) to appear any time now and will be very surprised if it doesn't materialise. :o
I believe overall expectation is higher within grammar schools and if the school believes that a child has the potential to do better (with a little bit of extra help) then they will provide it.
I would certainly contact the school, they should be happy to explain the reasons behind his identification.

Post by Guest »

It seems that the note home was a bit of a shock for you as you weren't aware of any problems but maybe think of it another way and be pleased that the school are identifying the best was to help your son.
In my own time at grammar I was one of 12 in the year given extra English and Maths help in the 3rd form. It was the best thing that happened for me - I was able to go over some things that had just not made sense to me first time around and it opened up both subjects for me. I went on to get an A in both at O level. What I'm trying to say is don't always think of extra help as a bad thing... we all need extra help in some things for some of the time.
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

I have to agree with the last guest. Sounds like a VERY good school, if they are so on the ball, to be able to spot any gaps in learning, and nip them in the bud so quickly. Very proactive.
Never happened at my school. They just went through the prescribed syllabus, without a thought as to whether the kids got it or not.
I'd definitely see this as a good thing! :)

BW
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Bewildered wrote:I have to agree with the last guest. Sounds like a VERY good school, if they are so on the ball, to be able to spot any gaps in learning, and nip them in the bud so quickly. Very proactive.
Never happened at my school. They just went through the prescribed syllabus, without a thought as to whether the kids got it or not.
I'd definitely see this as a good thing! :)

BW
Agreed - tended to be just ended up feeling bad becasue some (mainly english and Latin) results were so bad and instead of help being given you were just told you weren't trying / concentrating etc etc.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Guest 40

Yes I have heard of such notes, as others have said at least its been brought to your attention. Certainly wouldn't worry about it, there could be other children in the same boat.

I am also aware of children being diagnosed with dyslexia in year 7 [ diagnosed at primary level]

A number of Bucks Grammar Schools offer lunchtime maths clubs run by 6th formers.

Make an appointment, do not worry, I would take the view 'thank goodness the problem has been identified early'

Patricia
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

I agree with all what has been said so far.
It looks like a very good school that do their best to help children achieve their full potential.

Post by Guest »

Thank you all so much for your comments - feel a lot better about things this morning - think the shock has worn off and all your comments put things into perspective. To extend further he will have half an hour a week for 6 weeks - and hes been told he has to write down what he is reading every night and make a list of the words he did not understand. I suppose this is for Vocab reasons?? Have spoken to the school who are going to look into things for me and speak to whatever Teachers felt there was concern. Just to highlight what a crazy system we have - my sons friend was in top sets with my son throughout Primary but missed his 11+. He is now a a Local Comp and has been put on the Gifted and Talented Register!!!!! Makes me question my decision to get him into Grammar (we got through on appeal)?? Special needs at Grammar or Gifted and Talented at Comp?????

Thanks Again

Guest40