MTS or UCS?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Bemused

MTS or UCS?

Post by Bemused »

I am fairly new to the forum - have been "lurking" for a while, and have been finding all the discussions very helpful. (It's become addictive!)

After what seems like an eternity of going through worry and doubt, we are very pleased to have received offers from Merchant Taylors (Northwood) and UCS for our son. We like both schools, although they seem very different from each other.

Any advice and opinions on choosing between these two schools, positive or negative, would be much appreciated. Many thanks.
quest4gs

Post by quest4gs »

Have u asked your DS which one he prefers? What about distance from home? You might want to consider your DS's opinion and distance in order to decide.
Bemused

Post by Bemused »

We (including DS) originally preferred MTS but since his interview at UCS we have warmed to it. DS now cannot choose between them.

MTS is about half an hour drive away (and, unfortunately, we are just a bit beyond the coach route). So, at first, he'll be driven to and from school, but as he makes friends at school and wants to be more independent we will probably have to move house (very reluctantly) to be closer to the school.

UCS is about 45-50 minutes away by public transport (bus or tube) from us.
mad?

Post by mad? »

Bemused wrote: MTS is about half an hour drive away ... we will probably have to move house (very reluctantly) to be closer to the school.

UCS is about 45-50 minutes away by public transport (bus or tube) from us.
Bemused you have your answer...
mad?
Bemused

Post by Bemused »

Thanks, mad?, I see what you mean ... maybe we are over-analysing things (wouldn't be the first time!), but we were trying to decide what would be the best choice for DS, without being unduly swayed by issues like having to move house. We don't want to accept UCS just because of the transport advantage; or reject MTS just because we may have to move house.

Hence, my original post about the relative merits of the two schools.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

If you have no preference then I would choose the easiest school for transport. I, however prefer MTS but mainly because of it's fantastic land and facilities. It feels like a London school but within a country environment.
Bemused

Post by Bemused »

Hi, Tipsy, thanks. Although we do like both schools, our preference is still actually for MTS (although DS refuses to choose between the two now). This is despite us having warmed quite a lot to UCS since the interview.

I guess we just want to make sure that we would not be making a mistake by turning down UCS.

We have the impression that MTS is very academic and sporty, but not as pressured as some schools, and has a great "campus" feel. (MTS has also treated us very well in all our contact with them, which is making us positively inclined towards them.)

UCS seems similar as far as pressure is concerned, but the difference seems to be that it allows pupils to be individuals and to express themselves, with fewer rules and sanctions, and has a greater emphasis on the arts & social sciences. Apparently suits boys who want to take part in everything.

Are our impressions broadly right or not?

We know we will have to stop dithering soon and decide somehow ... but any opinions will be helpful and appreciated. Thanks.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I'm sure MTS will have just as much on offer for a boy who wants to get involved. It may be the case that more boys choose to study the sciences at MTS than UCS but that is partly down to parental expectations. FWIW I think boys need plenty of sanctions to keep them in line! :lol:

Now that I know you might prefer MTS I can be more effusive. I would definitely choose it over UCS - give your lad some clean(ish) air to breath in! :wink:
Bemused

Post by Bemused »

Thanks, Tipsy, for your reassuring and unequivocal comments! Have read many of your other posts over the past couple of months and have come to respect your sage-like contributions! :D
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

I was MTS in the early 80s and loved it, though I believe it is more academic than it was in those days, or perhaps that was just me :D Teaching was a little bit variable (as it is in most schools, I guess) but all of it was OK and some of it was very good indeed.

Sport – not just the traditional ones but also things like squash, fives, fencing, sailing – and drama were both considered important too.

25 years on I still see a number of old school mates on a very regular basis, which I think says something good about the school. A couple of them have sent their own DSs there, and they seem equally happy with it now.

I would have thought that MTS is considered a slightly more prestigious school – but then I would say that :lol:

One difference between the schools which might be a factor for you is that UCS is now co-ed in the 6th Form.