waiting list

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

september2010

waiting list

Post by september2010 »

My daughter is 7th place on the waiting list for the grammar school we placed as 1st choice. I would be interested to here of other peoples experience or knowledge of movement on these. I understand there are many variables but in general is 7th place a hopeful position?
Thanks
Sept10
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Sept10 - welcome!

It depends which school -if you tell us or perhaps in the section of the appropriate area you may get some useful info.
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Let me guess...Lincolnshire? :wink:

Movement on the waiting list depends on several factors such as how popular the school is, whether there are any other good schools that are likely to attract applications, how many places are declined, whether many people into catchment after the allocations, etc. etc. As Hermann says, the best place to ask is the local area as this can only really be answered with local knowledge.
Marylou
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Well spotted Marylou!! :oops: not quite with it this evening after a busy day... yes might get more help from Lincs forum !
september2010

Post by september2010 »

yes, thanks for remembering! I just wanted a wide spectrum of views, it can be a bit quiet in the Lincs section!
Gman

Post by Gman »

At a GS in Trafford, they have created an extra form for the last 4 years due to over subscription.

This year, as per the 4 previous years they stated the number of forms they would accomodate. As yet I do not know if the trend has been followed.

Another GS (Stretford) here. Not as popular but still good results did lower the pass mark after taking all accceptances and wait listed children to fill the allocation.
september2010

Post by september2010 »

Thank you for your information Gman, I appreciate any advice and support.
Sept10
Alex

Re: waiting list

Post by Alex »

september2010 wrote:My daughter is 7th place on the waiting list for the grammar school we placed as 1st choice. I would be interested to here of other peoples experience or knowledge of movement on these. I understand there are many variables but in general is 7th place a hopeful position?
Thanks
Sept10
You have to remember that appeals will be held for the school and if any are successful you may end up further away from a place than you are now. It is probably a good idea to appeal as well as to "wait in hope". It is not easy to predict movement as it can vary considerably from year to year. For some schools 7th would be very hopeful but for BG it would probably be better to say "possible".
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

When my dd was placed 4th on last year's waiting list (different area) we were told by the LEA we should definitely appeal, as you can't guarantee how many people will 'give up' their places.

As it turned out exactly 4 people gave up their places and we were saved at the last minute from going to our appeal :D :D :D :D
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Yes I remember that, was hoping we would also be saved by the bell! It didn't happen though...we started off eighth on the list and were in fourth place when our appeal came around. I'm not sure if there was any movement after that though, but because our successful appeal took the school over PAN it would have been necessary for more than one person to drop out before a place was freed up. I was told that the waiting list in that area would be maintained until the end of the autumn term, after which any free places would be filled in admission criteria order by successful 12+ applicants.
Marylou
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now