what else do i need

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now

what else do i need

Post by Guest »

hi patricia and everyone,
right i have got many practice papers like IPS, AFN, TUTORS 1B-12B & Nefer Nelson. my son really enjoys doing these papers and he has already done all AFN 1-8 tests + IPS 1-10 tests (50 qstns in 30 mnts) +Tutors 1b- 12b + TUTORS CD1. i haven't shown him NferNelson yet and he is achieving just between 75-94%. everyday he ask mum can i try one test so i just give him as i don't want to discourage him. i wanted to ask you guys is it ok to do preparation like this for 11+ which is going to be in oct 07. i am not sure if i should ask him to slow down now or should wait untill he is tired of it. the problem is we still have 7-8 months for the exams so i don't really want him to get bored or fedup (well can't think of a right word) before that big day. so please help me. is there somebody who is in same situation. we started on 11+ project in late december06.and is there any other tests or books which are good for BUCKS AREA, i can buy.
thanks a lot.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

My son enjoyed the IPS 10 questions tests - there are two books and I think there are 20 tests in each - it keeps the different types ticking over without spending too long on them.
Dawn2

Post by Dawn2 »

Those particular IPS books are really not suitable preparation unless it is almost a year in advance. The problem is that the exam is 50 miinutes and the child should be preparing to concentrate for 50 minutes. Focusing for 5 or 10 minutes to do 10 questions is neither here or there, though they are good questions and you can pick up the odd bit of vocabularly. In my experience the best new product here is the Walsh Verbal Reasoning books and The Tutors CD 3; both these will make the child focus for atleast 50 minutes.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Guest

I truly belive you are going through the tests far too quickly, you have another 7/8 months before the real tests....slow down!

There are not enough Bucks related tests around to complete nearly every day.

The order of tests should be ...IPS - 10 tests, The Tutors - 12 tests [pen and paper not the CDs] Susan Daughtrey- 4 test- soon I believe to be 8 tests [Bright Sparks only NOT her books 1-7] lastly NFER- 4 tests [ remembering that these test do NOT include 6 types of questions ie HIKNOS as identified by IPS

As work in between you could use AFN [these are easier tests] IPS additional questions, gradually re introducing them in the above order.

Dear Guest55

Glad to see you have registered. IPS currently only produce 10 tests, not 20. They do have a further 3 in their method and technique book.

Patricia
jah

Post by jah »

It's great that your son likes doing test papers, but there is more to grammar school than tests. I would encourage him to read (fiction and non-fiction). This has the advantage of helping his concentration, increasing his vocabulary and widening his general knowledge.

If he enjoys logic, an annotated edition of Alice in Wonderland might appeal; which gives details of all the hidden meanings and wordplays in the story.

Cryptic crosswords would extend him too. These are available on newspaper websites. He won't get how to do them straight away (after all, not all adults find them easy) but he could look at the right answers for the clues the day before, and try to work out why the answers are correct. You could do this together, even if it's only once a week.

Even a quick crossword gives him the opportunity to do it under timed conditions and to compare his performance.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

There are the IPS daily tests - 10 questions - two books of them which we used for 12+.

My child found switching types difficult and this was ideal - also made it fun as we did not have to spend too long on it.

thanks

Post by Guest »

many thanks to everybody for replying.

more e-papers

Post by Guest »

hello everybody,
could someone suggest if i should buy e-papers (other than THE TUTORS which i have already downloaded) from this website. my son is also going to sit for 11+ bucks so not sure if i should try any other publishers Verbal Reasoning test available on this site. i must insist i am talking about downloadable test (e-papers) only as i have got many books and other tests already but from all other than THE TUOTORS, i haven't got any (from this site) because i am not sure if these are suitable for bucks.... :? :? any suggestions???
thanks
patricia

Post by patricia »

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now