Waiting List Lawrence Sheriff Ranking re New Catchments

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

NXT

Waiting List Lawrence Sheriff Ranking re New Catchments

Post by NXT »

Does anyone know how they have ranked the waiting list and therefore the ability to appeal re the new catchment areas.

I cannot work out how this will be done to ensure that both parites are weighted equally

eg.
someone out of catchment in first tranche may have missed out by one mark, and therefore on wait list. (eg. needed 320 got 319)

someone in catchment in second tranche,may have missed out by one mark and therefore on wait list (eg. needed 310 got 309)

However, student out of catchment first tranche has higher mark, does this mean they ranked higher. If so this does not appear to sit with the ethos of the selection process as all appeals, wait lists will be in favour of those out of warwickshire.

Can anyone help?[/list]
Dadof3

Re: Waiting List Lawrence Sheriff Ranking re New Catchments

Post by Dadof3 »

I don't have the info to hand but I'm quite sure that the Warwickshire Schools Booklet (included with the 'nominating your preferred school' info pack) made it clear that the waiting list would be based on performance in the test irrespective of catchment area.

Regarding your last point............
NXT wrote: If so this does not appear to sit with the ethos of the selection process as all appeals, wait lists will be in favour of those out of warwickshire.
I prefer to think of it as favouring those who did best in the test which is entirely in keeping with a selection process for a selective school.
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

Hi,

On the FAQs, which come with the test results, it says:

"How do Grammar School Waiting Lists Work?
Waiting lists are held in score order. Late applicants and out of priority circle applicants are not penalised when they are added to the waiting list."

Charlotte
guest201

Post by guest201 »

I agree with Dadof. I seem to remember there was a bit of controversy about this at the time, as people said the waiting list would "favour" out of county children, in that more out of county children would get in from the waiting list because in some cases children from Warwickshire would have gained a place with a lower score than some out of county children who didnt gain a place. An awful explanation but I hope you see what I mean.
WP

Re: Waiting List Lawrence Sheriff Ranking re New Catchments

Post by WP »

Dadof3 wrote:I don't have the info to hand but I'm quite sure that the Warwickshire Schools Booklet (included with the 'nominating your preferred school' info pack) made it clear that the waiting list would be based on performance in the test irrespective of catchment area.
Yes, on page 28 of the booklet:
WCC wrote:How does the waiting list work?

Once the initial allocations take place on 1 March 2010 the waiting lists will be established. Only children who have scored above the automatic standard or have been considered by the Committee of Reference will be added to the waiting lists for their parents preferred selective school/s, provided a higher preference has not been offered.

First priority on the waiting list will be given to children who have scored at or above the automatic standard. Offers of vacancies will be made in descending score order irrespective of area.

Second priority will be given to children scoring below the automatic level who have been considered by the Committee of Reference for the appropriate school. Offers of any vacancies will be made in the ranking order set by the Committee.
Actually I think this is technically a breach, as the Admissions Code requires that waiting lists be operated according to the same criteria as the original allocation:
Admissions Code wrote:3.19 Each admission authority must maintain a waiting list for at least one term in the academic year of admission, for every oversubscribed school, and it must include the fact it will do this in their school’s published admission arrangements, making clear that children will be ranked in the same order as the published oversubscription criteria.
I think the first adjudicator raised this point in relation to the old admission criteria.
newdawn

Post by newdawn »

Is the minimum qualifying score the same for the priority circle and the rest?

What I am asking is have children with lowers scores, but in the priority area, been offered places before other children with higher scores but who do not live in the priority circle?
saram

Post by saram »

Yes -I know of some children in the outer area 1 who have failed to get places although their scores are quite a bit higher than 302 which is the automatic qualifying score - is this what you meant?
newdawn

Post by newdawn »

Yes.

Surely that is a basis for an appeal, a exam based on ability, and places been offered to children with lower scores.
NXT

Post by NXT »

This does seem to make a mockery of the selection process, surely it should be done on the same basis For me if it has been agreed for selection for the main places it should follow through for wait lists.

Surely it would be fairer to have a split wait list. - ie.

if two places become available then one from each list would be awarded a place,or
if student drops out from one area another student from that area can take up the place.

It would be interesting to identify post appeals/wait list if in fact any additional places are given to those in the warwickshire area or if these all go to outside of area.
guest201

Post by guest201 »

Does anyone have any idea of how much movement there is on the waiting list each year? Are we talking one or two who get in from the waiting list or 15 or 20, if the later is true I have to agree with NXT that it does seem to make a mockery of the whole system, as obviously it will be out of county children who are in the top spots on the waiting list.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now